Anybody in Dallas/Plano look at a clear bra installation for me?

No the key is in how straight the lines are machine cuts with precut patterns do not look like a donkey's hind leg

Also radius are uniform on a machine cut.

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your chance.

I would not take that chance but it's your call.

Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No the key is in how straight the lines are machine cuts with precut patterns do not look like a donkey's hind leg

Also radius are uniform on a machine cut.

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your chance.

I would not take that chance but it's your call.

Cheers

Problem is most of the Preowned cayenne I'm looking at have the Film on it. I guess no way of knowing. 

I had someone look at it today in person and said the film is decent. He said the job is 6/10

If there were cuts in the paint that were bad enough to warrant a respray, you 're in trouble.  You're instantly devaluing the car as soon as you paint it too.

Frankly, if an installer was willing to let the car go out the door with that jagged cut, I'd be concerned about their attention to detail when it comes to using a razor.

They'd have to make one heck of a deal on that car for me to buy it without having the film removed first...

It's not about whether other cars have film on or not it's whether this car may be damaged or not which was the gist of your point.

I would not consider six out of ten to be decent but what would I know :)

Without being physically stood in front of the car no one can tell you with certainty damage has occurred

The best anyone can say is that there is evidence of hand cutting and if done in situ MAY have corresponding paint issues

You either reject the car and find another that has not been hand cut get the film removed and know with certainty or buy it and deal with any issues down the road

Those are the only options I am afraid

Cheers

Looks like they started with a precut but had to trim edges they didn't get right.   Jeff is right, any installer that would let that one out his door has no business in this business.   Doing a good install with a precut shape is not as difficult to master as hand cutting panels on the paint, and they didn't get the first part right.  If its from a Porsche dealership, they are supposed to remove aftermarket film before it can be CPOed.   If I were you, I'd have them remove the film before purchase.

Looks like they started with a precut but had to trim edges they didn't get right.   Jeff is right, any installer that would let that one out his door has no business in this business.   Doing a good install with a precut shape is not as difficult to master as hand cutting panels on the paint, and they didn't get the first part right.  If its from a Porsche dealership, they are supposed to remove aftermarket film before it can be CPOed.   If I were you, I'd have them remove the film before purchase.

Do you guys think this is bad enough to warrant a Redo? Typically when i see bad installs online i see Bubbles, peeling up, Dirt under the film,etc. I'm buying the car from a Ferrari dealer.

Impossible to tell from these images

Is this about quality of the finished product or the risk to the paintwork?

It seems you are determined to buy this vehicle so the point seems moot

Especially as the film was Not paid for by you so not sure who would sanction the new install or pay for it prior to purchase

Im in Dallas if the car is still here. I will be happy to go by and look at it and see what the situation is. I can tell right off the bat that it isn't Suntek film which points me to one of two installers having down the install if it wasn't done at the dealership. Just send me a PM and I will be happy to go by and look at it. The Ferrari dealership is pretty close to me so it wont take long for me to get by there.

I'm trying to work out what your issues are, seems to me that you are both arguing the install is bad but at the same time its acceptable??

It certainly wouldn't leave my shop looking like that hand trimming or not. I suppose if I were being very generous I might say it may have been trimmed by someone else due to lifting and/or dirt getting under an edge, which stands out more on a white car for obvious reasons. But then there is even more reason to have the film removed and paint inspected if a valeter or salesman with the touch of a baby rhino has been trimming it.

If I were in your shoes I would tell the dealer that you want the film removed so you can inspect the paint, if all is ok and you have struck as good a deal as you say you have, and have stated that a redo isn't an issue go get it done else where. If the paint is damaged there goes the paint warranty and I would be walking away at a rate of knots on to the next one.

On a side note, pro-tect, how can you be so sure the film isn't Suntek? (idle curiosity on my part)

Steve

Archived