How to trim/cut rubber trim.

Havebeen doing a lot of ready here looking for the answer. No luck yet. Most of time I pull rubber or can trim close, but have a set of windows the rubber is very tight and dont want to risk pulling it. Never trimmed rubber before, whats the process? Big windows 60x58, 68x60. Are u using a metal straight edge,just put on rubber seal and cut. Its not going to damage anything if performed right? Thanks for any info. Do any of u use black calk to hide small light gaps?

We trim them all the time. I think you are talking about storefront type gaskets. Those are the ones you can easily remove and push back in. ... We don't R&R them un,es its for blackout. When we trim them, there is typically a small piece at the edge where it hits the glass about 1/16-1/8" wide. We cut it right along the line where it gets fatter. This gives us a very nice edge to run the straight edge trim tool on. A 60x60 window takes about 30 seconds to trim.

Sorry guys, commercial. Courthouse windows and are very tight. Windows on another building I tinted yesterday, rubber very easy to get out. Wish this would do same.

Thanks TOMTINT and guys, for answer I was looking for. Had someone suggest caulk but wasn't sure. Thanks again guys.

We trim them all the time. I think you are talking about storefront type gaskets. Those are the ones you can easily remove and push back in. ... We don't R&R them un,es its for blackout. When we trim them, there is typically a small piece at the edge where it hits the glass about 1/16-1/8" wide. We cut it right along the line where it gets fatter. This gives us a very nice edge to run the straight edge trim tool on. A 60x60 window takes about 30 seconds to trim.

:yeah And I actually asked a structural engineer whether or not the absence of that sliver of gasket impacted wind resistance numbers. The answer was, no, it would not.

Archived