To tint or not to tint

I know this won't be an issue for a few years, and I can tint all the windscreens I want to my heart's content, but new Ontario vehicle inspection standards on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1st 2017 have it so that vehicles with any aftermarket tint applied to the front windscreen will be rejected. 

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/pdfs/passenger-light-duty-vehicle-inspection-standard.pdf

So... Tint it, or don't tint it? Strip it, or don't strip it? Installation solution is one thing, but for some removal jobs you need a good amount of fluid. 

I'm perhaps too honest with customers, and will inform them that when they sell their vehicle they will need to remove the tint. Makes it hard to sell, but at least we don't lose the public's trust. At the same time do I tell them that I will not remove it when it comes time to inspect? 

What do you folks think? Worth the risk?

Over here in BC anything ahead of the drivers shoulder is illegal. I get requests all the time to do front door windows. "how much can I get away with legally?" is the most common question and the answer every time is NONE. I tell them the law first then explain that I will do it for them but hold no responsibility in the event of an accident or if you receive a fine. I also do not supply any type of warranty on fronts unless i obviously screwed up, then I will redo the job. Never peel and return money. I won't however touch windshields unless Im doing a 4" brow.

That's the problem.. They can have 35% legally, but for the safety inspection anything darker than 70% is rejected, and any aftermarket tint on the windscreen will be rejected. So they can drive around with tint legally, but when it comes time to have the vehicle inspected then it's a completely different standard.

Exactly! It is unusual. So I'm not only potentially stripping the odd windscreen I screwed up, I may now need to strip every windscreen I tint plus windscreens other folks tint. Is it worth the risk?

I believe Super Stripper has ammonia. Don't have the MSDS readily available. Tried to search and couldn't find much. Will ammonia potentially cause more residual damage?

Steamer for the removal and Rapid Remover for the adhesive if needed.  As long as you charge enough then it will be worth.  You can also let the people know the removal price ahead of tint before you tint just to give them an idea of the cost.  That will either make you more money or they will go somewhere that is cheaper and you don't have to deal with it.  So either is a win.

id use a steamer. Id be worried about chemicals getting on dashes. I just did a peel and retint on a BMW this past weekend and used rapid remover... 3 hours later I said never again and ordered my steamer

That rapid remover is nasyt shiat. Burned ans bubble the skin on my hand! Threw that stuff out.

Archived