Blading glass to prep

http://www.kudzu.com/uploadImages/2000000/2648737/attachmentvlpw1t.pdf

Search engine entry of 'fabrication debris' will give a mother-lode of reading on the subject. The above is an abbreviated discussion.

Two things to consider, how to detect and how to deal with it:

1. Although FD is invisible to the naked-eye, you can use thin cellophane similar to DVD wrap or cigarette package wrap to detect fines or debris... whichever description you wish to use. Place the wrap under your fingers and rub it across the dry (tempered) glass surface. You will detect the finest of fines using this method and you may even find they are too numerous to avoid even with a 1" single-edge blade.

2. LLumar's tech support has suggested in the past that when using a six-inch triumph to scrap (or blades greater than 1"), you do so with greater pressure and at a steeper attack angle of no less than 45 degrees. This will flick fines off the surface with a much reduced chance of trapping them beneath or at the blade edge, which is what causes scratching to begin with. Or, you can go with the glass industry's suggestion of chemical cleaning without a razor blade.

Edit: If you speak with any representative of the glass industry, they will tell you FD is not a concern since it is invisible to the naked-eye and therefore they deliver an optically clear viewing product. Also, the process of polishing away any FD after tempering of glass has been eliminated for cost-cutting reasons and therefore is not considered indicative of glass quality.

When i find glass like that I use scotchbrite and run hand across the wet surface for spots that may need razor

Them scratches don't go away,,,I call it cheap tempered glass

The last window's I had like that,,almost mentioned that,,but a friend/contracter put them in and got me the job that ended up with alot more work from the company

Some motorhomes and 5th wheel camper/trailers have that glass also

http://www.kudzu.com/uploadImages/2000000/2648737/attachmentvlpw1t.pdf

Search engine entry of 'fabrication debris' will give a mother-lode of reading on the subject. The above is an abbreviated discussion.

Two things to consider, how to detect and how to deal with it:

1. Although FD is invisible to the naked-eye, you can use thin cellophane similar to DVD wrap or cigarette package wrap to detect fines or debris... whichever description you wish to use. Place the wrap under your fingers and rub it across the dry (tempered) glass surface. You will detect the finest of fines using this method and you may even find they are too numerous to avoid even with a 1" single-edge blade.

2. LLumar's tech support has suggested in the past that when using a six-inch triumph to scrap (or blades greater than 1"), you do so with greater pressure and at a steeper attack angle of no less than 45 degrees. This will flick fines off the surface with a much reduced chance of trapping them beneath or at the blade edge, which is what causes scratching to begin with. Or, you can go with the glass industry's suggestion of chemical cleaning without a razor blade.

Edit: If you speak with any representative of the glass industry, they will tell you FD is not a concern since it is invisible to the naked-eye and therefore they deliver an optically clear viewing product. Also, the process of polishing away any FD after tempering of glass has been eliminated for cost-cutting reasons and therefore is not considered indicative of glass quality.

At the very second you hear the glass scratching, you need to stop. Period. No "attack" angle of a scraper is going to fix the issue. In fact it will likely make it worse as the blade will get burs on it as it crunches over the FD. And then dragged across the glass. .. We see this type of glass on a daily basis. A white scrubbie and maybe a 1" stainless blade is the only answer.

Tom do you inform the client that those windows will look different especially with the CDF product?

More than 85% of our work is deco. I see FD on almost every heavy glass job we do. It is going to be on either 1 side or the other 99% of the time. We just roll with the punches and get it done. If we get a call back on it, we explain the problem then....No sence in creating a delay beforehand. I have also seen / done quite a few storefronts with IG units that have FD. ..when the time comes to R&R those... It's going to be ugly. But to answer your question.. I only point it out if it will be a glaring problem.

Archived