Scrape Film From Tempered Glass - Safest Blade

Have to remove film from a large, very expensive door.  Film is not CDF.  Door is tempered and tempered surfaces are sometimes prone to scratching.

What is the safest blade to use?  Stainless Steel?  Hopefully something that I can pick up at Home Depot or Lowes.

Thanks,

Depending on how bad the film is;

Soap solution and your blade but keep it wet. Use only one side of blade.....if it's really bad, steam to soften, then soap and blade.

I have never had a problem...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Film is not bad.  I'm stressing it because 

Depending on how bad the film is;
Soap solution and your blade but keep it wet. Use only one side of blade.....if it's really bad, steam to soften, then soap and blade.
I have never had a problem...
Hope this helps
Cheers

Film is not bad.  I'm stressing it due to the high cost of the door and that it's tempered, and have seen tempered office front glass show scratches just from scraping before installing.   Thanks.

Usually there will already be scratches from the first install. Look closely and tell the customer if thats the case. If not youre probably good to go.

Might want to carry some adhesive remover and double 0 steel wool just in case.

scrape lightly and use the steel wool to finish it off.

If it's PS adhesive and gets some sun you could sweat it off. Shouldn't be a issue if it's tempered. 

By the start date of this thread the job is long since done but, the above approach is best. On tempered glass you can sweat the film using black or (dark) bag material. On annealed, clear bag material or scrap liner works to sweat PS films.

I have usually just scored it into strips about 8" wide, slid my Olfa blade pint under a corner to lift away and yanked the film from the surface. Once the poly is off, SuperStripper (or Windex w/Amoomia  D, 409 puirple, Grease Lightning, etc.) is sprayed on the adhesive and allowed to soak for half a minute, sprayed again and allowed a few more seconds of soak and you could scrape the glue off with a thin plastic edge tool, whether plastic blade, card or quik foot.

Archived