Paint ceramic coating before, after or not on top of the PPF?

Paint protection not paint perfection in the PPF world. The product is imperfect already. I would suggest paint correction if its bad and then ppf over it. Finish off with a ceramic coating and you'll be good to go.

The work we do is "perfection" period!

If you have noticeable swirl marks, have a detailer remove them before you get PPF fitted otherwise they will always be there.

The PPF does disguise them somewhat, depends how 'perfect' you need the finished result to be.

Coat over the PPF as others suggest

maybe a Polish to get some shine. But if you have "perfect paint" before an install, it certainly won't be after. You beat the crap out of paint installing the film. IMO a simple gloss polish that will also remove any dealer applied sealants is more than enough.

You beat the crap out of paint installing the film? What are you talking about? No squeegee or hard card touches the paint during the application process. Gel or slip solution, and then maybe IPA touches the paint. The film is the only thing that might take some abrasion, and if it's one of the modern, self healing films, it will self heal. And BTW, neither yours, nor anyone else's applications are perfect if you look hard enough, and it's not a good idea to promote that idea to customers. Paint protection, not paint perfection is indeed the proper way to describe paint protection film.

If you have noticeable swirl marks, have a detailer remove them before you get PPF fitted otherwise they will always be there.

The PPF does disguise them somewhat, depends how 'perfect' you need the finished result to be.

Coat over the PPF as others suggest

maybe a Polish to get some shine. But if you have "perfect paint" before an install, it certainly won't be after. You beat the crap out of paint installing the film. IMO a simple gloss polish that will also remove any dealer applied sealants is more than enough.

you shouldnt be damaging any paint when installing ppf

Well if you guys dont, that's great. I've know of several cars we've corrected before and because of pressure made arrangements, a different company applied the PPF. We had to remove a panel and it was like we never corrected it. It was worse than we we started. So I know it gets some abuse during install.

I am not saying by any means that every car we do is perfect, ever. Some defects are in the paint or so deep, it wouldn't be wise to chase them. But to strive for the best job you can do and not settle for mediocre work, is something we pride ourselves on. We set the expectations based on several factors and every car is different.

Well if you guys dont, that's great. I've know of several cars we've corrected before and because of pressure made arrangements, a different company applied the PPF. We had to remove a panel and it was like we never corrected it. It was worse than we we started. So I know it gets some abuse during install.

I have no idea how the paint would be damaged during the install process since the only thing that touches the paint is the adhesive. There is no "beating up" anything... the film can be damaged you know. Maybe there is some inexperienced installer out there tearing things up but for a good installer you wont see any damage done.

Improper prepping

Dirty rags

dirty car not cleaned with the right solutions prior to installation

Soft paint with improper rags and or excessive pressure

There are quite a few things that can cause swirls and scratches in the cc prior to installing if the installer has zero knowledge of paint management

Archived