Hack shop?

'Hack shop', this term gets thrown around a lot on this forum. How would you define a 'hack shop'? I put out work I'm happy with, few specs of dust here or there, nothing out of the ordinary.... just wouldn't want to be described as a 'hack shop'. How to avoid this?

It has to go on clean i mean 98% clean otherwise it can be considered a hack job and also why pay you to do something my 8 yr old can do

what is 98% clean?

i can have rash in the corner of a window but if i measure the window out i may have 98% of a clean install-is this still OK? 

just wondering how i can come up with the 98%-do you have a formula for this?  and would 97% be a hack job?  1% difference would probably look just as good as a 98%.

Guest Metro Films

Side should come out clean no exception back glass thats really where the 98% matters. I would like 2 to 4 single tine dots like pin size are ok and they cant be in the field of vision. You do realize tinters that can get it on perfect right. I MEAN NO FLAWS. So honestly idk where your from. Im from so cal and the tint trade is burned out here ive noticed shops expect perfect work. It would be crazy if it couldnt be done but it is being done. Do you really thinm you can charge some 1,000 to 1,600 for a tint and there going to be ok with some specs. Like i said i was told the following by the shop owner. 98% is good i know not everyone can get it perfect it takes guys years to get to that level. Know it exist and thats what you have to shoot for otherwise you'll make decent money. Again where i live everybody and their mom tints so the expectations are high and it kinda makes things more stressful. I personally didnt know tinting was gonna be this hard. I do a good job mid 90's but sure as hell not 98%. So accordingly i have a shitty tint job. I only make 7 -800 bi week and i gotta crank out 50 cars bi week. God help me this sucks.

I'm going to say that for about the first 4 or 5 years of my time as a tinter, I myself was a hack. And I would say some of us here were too depending on how you started out in the trade. I started at a detailer and my friends were alarm/stereo installers and opening a shop. They said hey, lets start tinting. We paid a pro tinter to teach us and show us the ropes. He stuck around for a few weeks teaching us and maybe a few times would come by over the months when we gave him some work and then he was gone. We put out some pretty crappy and dirty work as we went along but learned and got better and better. I still consider us hacks though for the next few years because we still had little to no knowledge about the industry, standards, films, tools, equipment, techniques. etc, etc. We just slapped tint on cars and charged cheap prices. We did use good film (at the time) though.

Then later things changed as I started out on my own and went mobile. I took the time to learn the trade, films, and to better myself. I eventually came across this site (tintdude) which has done wonders for me as I have learned soooooo much from this site (thanks TD!). Now 17 years later I'm still learning but have the knowledge, experience, standards, and business ethics and customer service which help me to run a successful shop.

Side should come out clean no exception back glass thats really where the 98% matters. I would like 2 to 4 single tine dots like pin size are ok and they cant be in the field of vision. You do realize tinters that can get it on perfect right. I MEAN NO FLAWS. So honestly idk where your from. Im from so cal and the tint trade is burned out here ive noticed shops expect perfect work. It would be crazy if it couldnt be done but it is being done. Do you really thinm you can charge some 1,000 to 1,600 for a tint and there going to be ok with some specs. Like i said i was told the following by the shop owner. 98% is good i know not everyone can get it perfect it takes guys years to get to that level. Know it exist and thats what you have to shoot for otherwise you'll make decent money. Again where i live everybody and their mom tints so the expectations are high and it kinda makes things more stressful. I personally didnt know tinting was gonna be this hard. I do a good job mid 90's but sure as hell not 98%. So accordingly i have a shitty tint job. I only make 7 -800 bi week and i gotta crank out 50 cars bi week. God help me this sucks.

NO FLAWS-gotta disagree-the nature of our business does not allow for no flaws-dust in the air, dust on your clothes, your skin, you hair, in your application fluid.  it has been discussed on here before-there is no perfection.  great jobs and near perfect-but never perfect.  a guy who is a tinter will pick out a flaw in any car-i will even go as far as to say any window if he looks for it.

but that goes with every industry.  a auto painter will pick out a flaw in any paint job.  drywall finisher, concrete, construction, anything at all.

How would you define a 'hack shop'?

A cheap film shop that does sub par installs with 5 different people on one car with no accountability for quality work.  A shop that does work at sub par prices just to undercut the other shops and then doesn't stand behind their work and has a HORRIBLE reputation.  

Avoid this by standing by the quality work you are putting out with quality film.  Build a reputation of quality work and good customer service and all will be fine.  Charge proper prices and do quality work.  

Flawless; absolute, entire, faultless, immaculate, impeccable, irreproachable, perfect, sound, unblemished, unbroken, undamaged, unimpaired, unmarred, unsullied, whole.

Does not exist in the aftermarket world.

Keep up with doing the best you can.

Cheers

Flawless; absolute, entire, faultless, immaculate, impeccable, irreproachable, perfect, sound, unblemished, unbroken, undamaged, unimpaired, unmarred, unsullied, whole.

Does not exist in the aftermarket world.

Keep up with doing the best you can.

Cheers

This +1. Its also how you take care of your customers even when you don't do your best job.

Archived