Best Way to Peel Liner?

I've been tinting windows (professionally) for about 6 months or so. I've been using mostly solar film, specifically 3M and Llumar films. I just recently started laying safety film. On Friday, I did a job that was about 280 square feet with 24 panels of glass. Six of those panels were large glass sliders, approximately 34" x 92". I had a helper peel the liner and spray off the film for me before I stuck the window.

Now, if I were on this job alone and was using solar film, I'd simply reverse roll my piece of film before cutting it from the film handler. Then I'd just peel it as I unroll it on the window. Piece of cake.

But say if I was working with safety film and had a piece of film that big? I don't think you could reverse roll safety film because it'd tunnel being rolled that tight.

What would be the best way to peel and spray that piece of film if I were working by myself? I imagine that putting the film backwards on the slider next to it and peeling the film that way would be the most ideal. Then just flip it over onto your clean window. Is that the best way?

Thanks, and I appreciate the feedback.

I've done quite a few 3M Ultra600 (6mil) and different brands with 7 mil solo. You can still reverse roll the film, you just won't get the roll that tight like you would with solar control film.

Get the roll as tight as you can without cutting off your fingers right before you apply to the glass. With the roll not being that tight won't present the same issue as a thinner film (crinkling and bending in the middle) because the film is so thick, it will hold it's shape so to speak.

If you are using Ultra Prestige I wouldn't know how best to do it solo since you have to rinse off the overcoat, and you very well can't do that by reverse rolling it. Never used a peel board personally.

They would revoke my membership card to the tinters club if I explained how I do it solo.... It's not pretty, but the film is on the glass once I'm done.

I generally bring a helper.... or use the window/door next to where I am working as you said to peel & flip it. 

The other way it just nutty. :gasp

That's right Roach.

I set up a jig with a small ladder and a piece of 4x8 corrugated plastic (the kind they make lightweight vinyl signs from) takes 5 min. And use that as a peel board. Hope this helps you vegas

Any time you can use a helper or as drtint specified ,a peel board ,you will eliminate "champagne bubbles, air entrapment,etc. Saturation without contamination, keep your stick on the ice!!!!

Guest BillyrayBLOCKER
4 minutes ago, BillyrayBLOCKER said:

I saw this thing called a DUB roller it made reverse rolling automatic and helped with ps peels.

A race to the bottom is a race I won't be in. 

Archived