Preventing Peanuts

dial the heat gun down if its variable or challenger easy to stretch shrinking just the edge maybe the 300. played with the shield a little more, getting closer to evening the compression. love to see ya try and let me know, malibu 17 couple doors today.

It worked. Dialed heat gun down.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion what brand of film you use plays the biggest factor in peanuts. Why is this the case? Not sure but I use the same shrinking and installation techniques and when I use brand (a) I usually get peanuts as opposed to brand (b) where I rarely get peanuts.

Now that's not to say there are not ways to minimize this. Whenever I use brand (a) I know I need to steel wool and it helps minimize the problem whereas when I use brand (b) no wool is necessary.

I agree and I think too much slip can cause peanuts.

many factors effect potential peanuts.  temp/humid, slip and film.  The shrink was voted the biggest factor.  I have been polling tinters with no problem and excessive peanuts.

Questions asked have included, type of heat gun & age, distance and angle on film. type of film and method of shrink(soap, dryer, baby powder)

heat gun.  cheap ones typical 900 degrees snap on and high end 1200 degrees.

distance and angle.  I used to run under an inch perpendicular moving fast compared to an angled or distant less aggressive approach.

age,  thermocouples weaken over time lowering operating temp or pulsing heat requiring less aggressive approach (hot spot or star burst)

Any one else notice how fast a new gun shrinks compared to an old one same model and more even.  I used to replace mine when i noticed the change.

My original reason for a preference for baby powder over soap and dryer sheet was film sticking to the BG might only be an illusion of a proper shrink.

After watching different vids on this,  some people compress a little and are unaware of it.  if the top and bottom inch or so is right should lay finger free either over or under shrunk.

problems or no problems have yet to a why either way except thick lines can cause peanuts. might have to rent one for a day to try it out.

Have had some great feedback and success stories from other tinters, maybe I will get a chance to try myself before I retire.  Not sure I will make it thru another season.

Few years late, but discussions on the concept lead to reverse curve theory.  t-bird, century regal camaro and the likes,  shrink the top normal.  if we could take the window out and flip it upside down,  would we not have fingers on the bottom now being a forward curve?  could we just snap the bottom and not have to stretch or shrink the pouches as I showed in my original vid (youtube reverse curve)?  burn some brain cells on that one guys.   And yes now can't wait to try this. 

Love the Ryker method, Innovative and has held as a standard for many years.  Again it was the "why" some get peanuts I wanted answered.  If I had my own shop I might have adopted the Ryker method into my routine.  The shops I tint for have 1 outlet for a heat gun if I am lucky.  2 heat guns require 2 isolated circuits or you will pop the breaker.  When I used a heat gun anyone using a power tool (vacuum, equalizer, hot knife) popped the breaker if on the same circuit.  Wet floors and snow melting off cars caused more problems. could not change all the stores, so I changed my method and scrapped the heat gun (serenity prayer)

As you all know I have preferred powder.  It has been faster for me and I can see exactly what the film is doing by not sticking to the window.  I have now learned whether you are compressing, stretching or shrinking as long as the edge lays down you can achieve the same result.  I guess I have to thank a peanut for the insight

Archived