Preventing Peanuts

Peanut free confirmation request

15 degrees  30mph wind, unprotected,, nutcicles in under 2 min, Michigan is  in hibernation mode.

Tinted challenger today with no, yes I said no peanuts!!  Who knows when the next peanutmobile will book.

did I get lucky or a potential cure?  Looking for feedback from someone who has one to do.

I have heard of others without this problem, no one can tell me why.  some of us ocdilogical people need to know.

Standard procedure,  baby powder, wet line, cut to hang, TS-8000 torch.

why,  curve is tighter on inside, can shrink to edge, overshrink middle and follow smiley out for finger free, 8000 is widest flame shrinking larger area with consistent heat, no cords or heat guns.

Peanuts common on vehicles with thick defrost grid. 300 charger challenger etc.

things known to make them worse,

excessive shrinking,   heating fingers or pouches past the 45 degree bordering on the 180

hard cards can crease edges on defrost increasing problem or pulling air off grid

Concept,  Compressed Snap. Full credit given to my assistant Brandon Debroy Master Tinter 1yr/exp

Film stretches and compress's,  what us old farts did before film could shrink

Converted back to dryer sheet, horizontal tac with yellow diamond pushing film down with no heat till necessary.  torch at aprox 12inch dropping each quadrant down evenly.  carefully lift one corner and pull back so about one inch of film comes up across bottom and heat for snap.  do not snap to defrost line.   repeat on top.  Standard prep with white scrubby.

Initial pass was with yellow turbo and then light pressure with pro handle with blue max overlapping passes 50%. watching the water dispersion would have gone back to yellow turbo or added a Kaywos over blue max.  The rough edges of the grid prevent water removal with harder tools and can indent the film.  Solution was 1.25oz. ultrabond, one drop J&J in P2.

Shrink time under 2 min compared to 40 sec with powder but peanut removal average 25min

Complete installation with assistant 35min plus 10min for hi 5's and victory dance

No fingers, No peanuts, No steel wool or rapid tac. No headache. 

Never thought I would use soap or dryer sheets again but if it saves me from fighting peanuts its has a place for

me with certain vehicles.

Can't wait for a charger or 300 to book!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dryer sheet, horizontal tac with yellow diamond pushing film down with no heat till necessary. torch at aprox 12inch dropping each quadrant down evenly. carefully lift one corner and pull back so about one inch of film comes up across bottom and heat for snap. do not snap to defrost line. repeat on top. .

This is standard for me. No issues with peanuts. Not on Altimas or any of the Dodges or Chryslers.

I always use steel wool. It just seem wiser to me.

Also I recommend losing the torch and go with the heatgun. Everything else seems fine. But the torch overheats the film before you realize it. The torch runs at a much higher heat (on its lowest possible setting) than a heat gun. Hence the reason for the peanuts. You are putting the film to it's absolute limit way to fast. And it can't go back.

The torch seems to be the reason for the peanuts in most cases. In my humble opinion.

:yeah shadys good tech support though. I dryer sheet everything. Stick challenger back glass w dirt off on glass film on on the film. :lol

Yeah. No problems with shady's tech info. :thumb2

many torchers switch back to heat guns on peanut prone vehicles and still get peanuts.  common thread with various techniques reducing the problem but have yet to see it defined and cured.  variations from film, heat gun and other prep or slip only partially explains why some get it worse then others.

The thick irregular grids are the problem for many not just with us torchers.

I only use carbon and ceramic which requires more heat then many other films

heat guns typically last 1year.  tried many no luck.  torch tips last 4 or 5 year depending on how often I drop them

torch provides a more consistent heat with a wider pattern covering more area.  TS-8000 map

No heat up more control and no thermocouples pulsing heat as they wear

no cords to replace or multiple outlets to run two or more guns.  Gfi's popping from wet environments.

reduced shrink time, small BG's under a min, most under 2.  reducing fatigue on arms and shoulder

6 year history no comebacks

you have to move faster or increase distance, same rules apply to heatguns of various models with different heat/air ratio's

I no longer carry or use heat guns. torch I use for doors, fliplines  drying door panes (gm trucks) and occasional finger removal if one pops

I can light a cig in 20sec with a heat gun or one with my torch, both can burn me, just one is quicker

Archived