Security Film Question

We've actually tested this with a piece of garbage framed glass. When applied to the exterior surface the security film offered little to no protection as far as glass breakage goes. It did  still hold the glass together fairly well.

The interior surface of the glass would be under tension when the glass is impacted from the exterior, so security film applied to the interior surface would compress that surface as the glass flexes from the impact. 

Exterior installation might actually make the glass easier to break considering it would add thickness to the glass, so I think there would be more tension on the interior surface in the event of an exterior impact.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:56 PM, Tint Eastwood said:

:yeah I can agree with most of that, but Mike are you saying that the film will be less effective on the outside compared to the inside or are you stressing the necessity for a spall shield/coating on the inside layer?

On 1/25/2017 at 8:11 AM, Bham said:

Was sorta wondering the same thing?  My guess is.. if film is on the outside, it will be compromised first and become less effective, rather than the glass becoming compromised and having to tear the film from the outside in,,,, keeping the film stronger until it is compromised.  Just a guess. :dunno  :twocents 

What I am saying, is that with an AG and a S&S film installed on both sides of the glass. the AG film will lessen the vibratory response of the impact from the outside. 

Any film applied will lessen the vibratory response.  I would think a security film, with a strong adhesive, would accomplish that better.  A pliable thicker mil window film that is puncture and tear resistant would be the best at this.   Sorry guess I'm just not getting it. :dunno  

Archived