Flat glass estimate based on total cost

I have some snow birds back for the summer and are inquiring about window tint on one skylight and about 24 square feet of office glass. Typical problem, they want the window tint advantages and benefits but do not want there windows to look tinted, Go figure. I do not stock 40%+  flat glass tint and madico only sells tint by 25ft, my regular price per square foot makes the job not worth doing at that price. Ive worked for a roll of film a hand full of times and im not interested in doing so this time, especially something ill probably never sell. Also inventory doesnt compensate if i fall off that ladder which is worth something to me.

Does anyone ever price on total material costs? What is the response from the customer? 

In cases like that, yes.

My first suggestion would be to contact Solyx... They used to sell solar films... Not sure if they still do... But if so you might be able to order smaller amounts.

That being said...yes, I would charge for the 1/4 roll... Plus profit to do the job.

It sucks, but sometimes there isn't much you can do besides taking a loss and making the profit on the next job.

We have the same issue, I like to order a full 60" roll when it is a film we do not already stock.  Some jobs we do add extra to compensate for the full roll and others there is no way.  So in that case you take the hit on the 1st job and make it up on the future jobs.  Specialty films I would try to order right at the requirement so not sure when it would be used again.

Archived