is tinting auto and flat glass a stable and good industry?

Hi guys, I am new to the forums, I was just browsing for info and help regarding tinting cars and flat glass. I have done 2-3 cars of my own for tint the past few years and I enjoy it. I am no longer happy with my career right now and want to change.

I found a flat glass tint class thats offered that i'll be taking up in about two weeks and wondering, is it something I can do that can settle me down for the future? I'd like to learn more and improve on my automotive tinting as well. I have all the necessary tools for vehicle tinting. Just need a bit more techniques and perfect it.

How much can I make doing flat glass, is it something seasonal? is it mostly mobile service where you go door to door? I am really interested and I know sometimes work and a hobby is totally different but when I do tint, I actually enjoy it. The squeegeeing is a satisfying feel to me.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Recent similar thread and this was my post:

Window tinting is a tough nut to crack.  It is whored out by people that think it is something that is cheap in material so they give the work away.  They may or may not do quality work.  The shop employee looks at the cost of material alone and thinks they can make a LOT of money so they go out or their own or on the side.  They PIE just gets smaller and the quality goes down most times.

The newer vehicles are coming more and more with tinted glass and that makes for a difficult position of trying to sell those vehicles on other than just the fronts.  The factory glass also has much better specs than it did years ago so the need for a window film to protect the interior is much less.

For the flat glass market the glass is getting better and better and they are using better and being required to use better glass that doesn't need the same film that it did even 10 years ago. 

Quality tinters will be in demand for many more years but the number of jobs will get spread out more as the cheaper minded workers are going to continue to grow.

It is going to be dependent on two things. Location, and determination. 

Well, three actually, since you are asking about flat-glass as well. The 3rd would be brand awareness for lack of a better term. Cars.. .people know about car tint. Homes - not so much. The biggest issue, IMO, with flat glass with regards to residential is just people knowing about it and what the benefits of having their home windows tinted are. 

Of course the income levels of residents in your area would play a part as well. 

The determination factor boils down to this. You can set up 'shop'... put your number out there and wait for people to call you. 

Or, you can go and hustle to find the work. Passive marketing vs. active. 

It's somewhat seasonal here.... but there are enough tinters that have no problems working year round and supporting families doing it. During the busy season you work your butt off... on the slower time you work just as hard marketing wise but might not have as much actual work. Which you learn how to budget your money year round so you don't need to eat mac-n-cheeze all the time during the slow periods. :lol6

That's my :twocents and I'm sticking to it. :) 

Archived