Michigan Windshield Tint

6 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

Based on the law, it sounds like the windshield would still be illegal with the exemption.  The exemption just allows you to tint the front side windows versus only having a 4" strip across them.  The law is below...

The law that covers window applications is. The use of tinting is limited to the rear side windows, the rear window if the vehicle has outside mirrors on both sides and the top 4 inches of the front side windows. There is a limited exception for medical necessity with a doctor's prescription, which allows for tinting to be applied to the front side windows as well. Michigan does not have a specification for the darkness of the window application but does prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35%.

Troops have tried for years to interpret the law as you did, and they fail everytime in court if they write someone a tint ticket when they have an exemption note.

Not trying to be a dick, just giving the guy the right answer.

2 minutes ago, bamh5 said:

Troops have tried for years to interpret the law as you did, and they fail everytime in court if they write someone a tint ticket when they have an exemption note.

Not trying to be a dick, just giving the guy the right answer.

Not necessarily the right answer, just the law doesn't specifically mention the windshield on the exemption.  It is just going to come down to the prosecutor/judge if they want to fine the person or to drop it.  Since I am going to safely assume you are not present in the courtroom every time this specific tint ticket comes up, you can't say they drop it 100% of the time.  I am not saying you're wrong, just that it depends on who interprets it.

Thanks for the info guys. I’m going to call and talk to the local state police building Monday to talk to them about it. Also I’ve decided the lowest tint I will go with will be 50%. Talked to a friend with it and he said the 35% would be too dark, especially living in a very rural area. 

My buddy has 2% tint all around and 35% on his windshield, he has had a script for 7 years and was sent to the state and added to his info when they run his plate. He has gotten pulled over once and they said his scripted covered all the tint and he was good. I’m going to ask him to see what his script says as I’ve read conflicting answers on the script working for the windshield. 

Also I did have one state cop, about 3.5 years ago pull me over and say I needed to register my prescription with the state and they would add it to my drivers license. I went to the local secatary of states office and they said they no longer did that as it was a hassle and to keep the script in the vehicle. 

On 8/17/2018 at 11:38 AM, bamh5 said:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(bcujfcqnkms44vyrym4cmidy))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-709

"(e) A special window treatment or application determined necessary by a physician or optometrist, for the protection of a person who is light sensitive or photosensitive, if the owner or operator of a motor vehicle has in possession a letter signed by a physician or optometrist, indicating that the special window treatment or application is a medical necessity. However, the special window treatment or application shall not interfere with or obstruct the driver's clear vision of the highway or an intersecting highway."

Tickets from law enforcement really don't bother me. 

What really worries me is a civil lawsuit. It looks like there's a legal loophole for some slick lawyer to use in a civil suit against the tinter.

"However, the special window treatment or application shall not interfere with or obstruct the driver's clear vision of the highway or an intersecting highway."

Even some Tinters will agree that 20% is too dark for front side windows, & the vast majority will agree that 5% is just dangerous on the front windows. And that will interfere with or obstruct the driver's clear vision at night.

And that's what the guy that started this thread stated that he has on his vehicle! (just put on sunglasses).

In the end for me, it comes down to what I'm will to risk for a few hundred bucks and will that make or break me.

not over 35% reflectivity. What does that mean? if It says any % you want. Im confused. Can i go the darkest withOUT a prescription on the 2 back rear doors of my 4-door  honda?

thanks