Minimizing lines between front bumper and fender

Guest Kevin

Guest Kevin

I always wonder how installers tuck the paint protection film between the fender and front bumper.  What’s the best method to hide these lines?

Some installers will take off the bumper but I normally don't take anything apart because its too risky and not really a good idea.   First, you could damage the clips or not get it back on secure, plus when the film gets damaged (and it will for sure), you have to take it apart again to replace the piece.  Most of the time there's not a finished area on the backside for the wrapped part of the film's adhesive to bite on.  Its like putting a piece of tape on a concrete block, it will stick but it won't stay.

Personally, I think a small gap is better if there is no easy way to wrap the edge.  its easier to keep clean.  

Guest Kevin

11 hours ago, Speed said:

Some installers will take off the bumper but I normally don't take anything apart because its too risky and not really a good idea.   First, you could damage the clips or not get it back on secure, plus when the film gets damaged (and it will for sure), you have to take it apart again to replace the piece.  Most of the time there's not a finished area on the backside for the wrapped part of the film's adhesive to bite on.  Its like putting a piece of tape on a concrete block, it will stick but it won't stay.

Personally, I think a small gap is better if there is no easy way to wrap the edge.  its easier to keep clean.  

I hear what you’re saying but I know the bumpers weren’t taken off on some of the installs.  There has to be some secret. 😀

They may be using the "surface prep" to force it to stick in those joints.  Still not a great idea as they will lift up over time.  it's too small of a ledge to tuck and the film actually stay down.  

Plus if you ever have to replace it, those seems will be the first area the paint will come off.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:47 PM, JoshVette said:

They may be using the "surface prep" to force it to stick in those joints.  Still not a great idea as they will lift up over time.  it's too small of a ledge to tuck and the film actually stay down.  

Plus if you ever have to replace it, those seems will be the first area the paint will come off.

I agree with JoshVette. I personally am not a fan of pro-bond and don't believe it should be used during an install. You are basically creating a permanent bond with the adhesive to the clear coat. And it's not if, but when the film needs to be removed as PPF is a semi-permanent product, you will remove paint, clear coat, or leave adhesive behind where you put pro-bond or adhesive promoter.