Window Tint Gaps

Hi folks, 

Just got my car tinted and there were some edges that were bothering me, but I have very high standards and wanted to get some other thoughts on how reasonable/unreasonable I am being.  I had picked a tint shop with excellent reviews and used computer-cut tint.  I paid $500 for side and back windows (Llumar IRX film), so I expected a very clean job. 

Window 1: Gap looks uneven and larger near the pillar

image.jpeg.192754ef5fbcbab334589788be098bfc.jpeg

Window 2: Tint starts sloping down before the pillar and there's a small triangle of the window that is not covered by tint. 

image.jpeg.9aa2cf67a3bc8c309fb2a39e72fe732d.jpeg

Window 3: Gap starts sloping down near the pillar and edge doesn't look clean. 

image.jpeg.4a8c26f341780e9d8c3a6ed4ac8f52d1.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b1a4ef10329f6533d4968baa965e955.jpeg

If they use a pre-cut pattern then they obviously don't have control over how the edge will turn out unless they were to try and alter it after the fact. Generally if they use pre-cut patterns, they may have difficulty hand-cutting or opt out not to due it for their own reasons. Personally I think you're being too anal about something you normally never see when your window is rolled all the way up. Not enough of an edge gap to be an issue, especially if it's a clean install.

Edited by CaptainSpod

Those cut lines could have still come from a plotter/.  That film (IRX) can be tough on plotter blades and sometimes the cut lines will come out a little rougher looking than normal, especially with ceramic films and a dull blade.  Also have to mention that filing the edges with ceramic films is not the easiest thing in the world to do either and the chance of peel back goes up with a thicker mil window film.  

I would have to agree with @CaptainSpodand say there's not much really wrong with that install.  It looks like a pretty clean install which is what the OP said they wanted.  That corner triangle part the OP is complaining about is not that bad either.  I say let it ride unless there is a bunch of trash in the middle of window.  Enjoy your film and put down the magnifiying glass.  

30+ year veteran here & I agree with the above opinions. Looks solid to me in fact I would say it is as good as or even better than most. As mentioned if there is trash in the film that is one thing but it looks clean to me. The slight difference where it was very minimally uneven is not enough to worry about. Relax and enjoy your window film.

Thanks everyone for your insight.  I think I started taking a "magnifying glass" to my windows because I first discovered the tint on my back glass was curved and not tinted past the dot matrix in some parts (see below).  When I had them redo the back glass a couple days later, they pulled off some defroster lines -- very poor start.

I guess what is bothering me about the windows in my original post is the unevenness of the gap across the window edge when I specifically asked them beforehand if they could tint to the edge (or if they shaved/filed to the edge), and they assured me that they did.  Given that context, do folks still find the job acceptable? 

image.jpeg.cb7cf2a799c542032e84a691c5e4f870.jpeg

image.jpeg.98777ffb6072fcdd3f84ac447a76e6d6.jpeg

Edited by lexusisf

Pros - The last pic of the tint on the back deck with the non straight edge ? That can't be plot cut right. It's too *not straight* to be plot cut..

Bham or just any tint pro - are you stating that with ceramic films, it's advisable to not tint to edge/file due to the comment you posted. Or it can be one if one want's the tint (to the edge)

With that said....my tinter of 2 decades went to plots a few years back. Not sure if it was for productivity ...

Tints jobs look as as fine, except for the half moon edges, which is a very minutia detail difference.

I've had it both ways. Micro edge and filed. 

46 minutes ago, mobiledynamics said:

Pros - The last pic of the tint on the back deck with the non straight edge ? That can't be plot cut right. It's too *not straight* to be plot cut..

Bham or just any tint pro - are you stating that with ceramic films, it's advisable to not tint to edge/file due to the comment you posted. Or it can be one if one want's the tint (to the edge)

With that said....my tinter of 2 decades went to plots a few years back. Not sure if it was for productivity ...

Tints jobs look as as fine, except for the half moon edges, which is a very minutia detail difference.

I've had it both ways. Micro edge and filed. 

The half moon corners is because most plotters do not cut sharp, small circles very well.  They just don't round corners very well in my opinion, unless it is a larger circumference curve.  

As for the filing of the edges.  It takes an experienced filer to do that to ceramic film.  With most ceramic films the film is half a mil thicker than most regular dyed films, making it harder to cut, and file.  It is much easier to tear an edge with a file with ceramic films.  Not saying it can't be done, no.  Just saying you better be good at filing already.  I just wouldn't recommend starting to learn filing with ceramic films.  

Edited by Bham