Tint shop owner please reply

17 hours ago, watchdaride said:

had a tesla guy chargeback her credit card  $620 because she wasnt happy with the job. She hasnt contacted me or brought the car back to see whats wrong ..

Back in my install days in Florida I had a client stop payment of their check. When the bank informed me I put together a letter to the client stating that I would have him served and see him in court. I went on to say I would likely prevail because he never came back to complain and the fact that Florida has a law dating back to, I think, 1914 that covers defrauding an innkeeper, which his actions would be treated in a similar manner. He caved and brought in the money for the job but I would not accept it until it included the fee for having him served.

Few folks try anything to get a freebie.

Another regular accused my employee of scratching the hood of his car. Funny thing was I tinted the car, not the employee and I knew I didn't scratch the car. He wanted me to give him a free job in exchange. I said, NO! He left in a huff and before his wife left she said she saw a cat clawing at the windshield mister that morning.

When I left the manufacturing side of my career, I was asked if I would be starting a tint biz. 😂🤣 Oh HELL NO!

Edited by Tintguy1980

This kind of customer can be found the world over.

Often, we can sense trouble before it even really starts. I mean, how many times have you had an enquiry asking how much it costs to tint a small car?

This kind of question sets alarm bells ringing as I realize this isn't just a run of the mill Camry that they own, but more likely something much more sinister: usually an Audi, a BMW or you guessed it, a Volvo, and not just any old Volvo, an XC60! (Substitute any other Euro-trash that you wish - I'm sure you get the point)

I immediately ask if they know what type of car they have.

Silence often follows for a few seconds until they realize they've been sprung.

"Yes" they admit. "Why wouldn't I know?"

I then explain that in order for me to quote the job, I need to know what I'm dealing with, and that I'd hate to over price them with a figure that's usually reserved for European cars, which are more difficult to tint than the average home-grown varieties.

"I have an A6 Audi" they confess, and I realize my spidey senses are still working, despite my grey hair and bulging beer belly.

"Oh well then" I say "That's good to know. I'll make sure that it isn't just one of the juniors that works on your vehicle. The cost is $550" (Did I mention that I work alone?)

At this point, they either want to book the job in or decide to call around for other prices.

I'm happy either way, not just because I did or didn't get a job worth doing, but because I hadn't been tricked into booking "one of those jobs" for next to nothing.

Those types of customers are easy to see from a mile away. Especially the one that make it seem like they got the base model. Lol it’s a 3 series not an M3 or it’s a civic hatchback not a type R. All of us have data points from the thousands of interactions we have on a daily basis. They usually cant pull anything on us. I got unlucky that this one slipped through my screening process. 

On 5/31/2023 at 6:23 PM, watchdaride said:

had a tesla guy chargeback her credit card  $620 because she wasnt happy with the job. She hasnt contacted me or brought the car back to see whats wrong ..

Felony theft of services. Call the economic crimes officer or local DA and file a charge.