For those familiar , what's your take on Windshield PPF

The last time I was looking into this stuff, all the top brands had issues with curing time...

Anyhow, I have a certain vehicle, that due to the angle of the glass, etc - it's just prone to chips/cracks.

We have windshield on the insurance....you know how it goes. They say it doesn't affect your premium as it's a rider...but you end up getting surcharged eventually...

I knew a guy who installed a whole fleet of cars for a city gov and lost his ass from the wipers scratching the heck out of it in 2014/15.

I haven't heard anything else about that type of product ever since. It's so dusty out west I would be surprised if it would work out here. If it did, I could make a fortune installing it. Maybe the products have gotten better, somehow I doubt it.

5 hours ago, mobiledynamics said:

For those familiar , what's your take on Windshield PPF

The last time I was looking into this stuff, all the top brands had issues with curing time...

Anyhow, I have a certain vehicle, that due to the angle of the glass, etc - it's just prone to chips/cracks.

We have windshield on the insurance....you know how it goes. They say it doesn't affect your premium as it's a rider...but you end up getting surcharged eventually...

HOW WE SELL IT IS BASICALLY THE TRUTH OF IT ALL. WE TELL THEM HOW LONG TO EXPECT IT TO LAST, DELICATE CARE TO MAINTAIN IT, IF YOU PARK OUTSIDE DAY AND NIGHT (THIS MIGHT NOT BE FOR YOU) TRUTH!, WHAT THE TRUE EXPECTATIONS ARE TO BE. THE FAMILIAR BRANDS SUCH AS CLEARPLEX AND EXOSHIELD ARE JUST LIKE AG OR SEC FILMS. STIFF, HARD TO MOLD, AND THE TOPCOAT USUALLY FAILS IN A YEAR OR LESS. 

BRAY IS SELLING SOMEONE ELSE'S PRODUCT FOR DOUBLE OR TRIPLE THE PRICE AND STEK HAD A GREAT PRODUCT BUT FAILED IN 6-10 MONTHS IN THE CALIFORNIA SUN. 

NO PRODUCT IS PERFECT. WILL IT "REDUCE" DAMAGE? YES. BUT IS STILL AT RISK TO CRACK IF THE OBJECT IS TRAVELING AT A HIGH SPEED. IT'S GLASS! WE JUST SELL HONESTY. 

5 hours ago, HDT155 said:

HOW WE SELL IT IS BASICALLY THE TRUTH OF IT ALL. WE TELL THEM HOW LONG TO EXPECT IT TO LAST, DELICATE CARE TO MAINTAIN IT, IF YOU PARK OUTSIDE DAY AND NIGHT (THIS MIGHT NOT BE FOR YOU) TRUTH!, WHAT THE TRUE EXPECTATIONS ARE TO BE. THE FAMILIAR BRANDS SUCH AS CLEARPLEX AND EXOSHIELD ARE JUST LIKE AG OR SEC FILMS. STIFF, HARD TO MOLD, AND THE TOPCOAT USUALLY FAILS IN A YEAR OR LESS. 

BRAY IS SELLING SOMEONE ELSE'S PRODUCT FOR DOUBLE OR TRIPLE THE PRICE AND STEK HAD A GREAT PRODUCT BUT FAILED IN 6-10 MONTHS IN THE CALIFORNIA SUN. 

NO PRODUCT IS PERFECT. WILL IT "REDUCE" DAMAGE? YES. BUT IS STILL AT RISK TO CRACK IF THE OBJECT IS TRAVELING AT A HIGH SPEED. IT'S GLASS! WE JUST SELL HONESTY. 

Have you ever cracked a windshield removing it?

I've never driven with one on it but might as well ask, since we got this topic going. How clear is clear on this stuff. I mean PPF in general does have a tinge of orange peel to itself - depending how well interprets -clarity-

Topcoat = sealant coating. On PPF for paint....it's my general observation, nothing sticks/lasts long on this anyway, so I'm consistently keeping a LSP on it anyhow. 

Interesting remark about Stek. I like their films. It's clearer than Xpel, but I suppose it's also thinner - tradeoffs.

Their *new* color PPF looks great from the videos I've seen. Apparently last time I heard about this a few weeks back, their production run of this is not good, so that's been pulled back

We've looked into it multiple times and even got some samples, but we always come to the same conclusion, not worth it. It might be an option if your vehicle has a very expensive windshield. Otherwise, it will cost you just as much or more than new glass to swap this out every year, not to mention the required maintenance. It would be a great product if a brand resisted wiper scratching and had superior optical clarity. IMO, it is more of a cash grab for the shop than actual value to the consumer.

On 7/31/2023 at 12:53 PM, DynamicATL said:

We've looked into it multiple times and even got some samples, but we always come to the same conclusion, not worth it. It might be an option if your vehicle has a very expensive windshield. Otherwise, it will cost you just as much or more than new glass to swap this out every year, not to mention the required maintenance. It would be a great product if a brand resisted wiper scratching and had superior optical clarity. IMO, it is more of a cash grab for the shop than actual value to the consumer.

:yep this was my conclusion when looking into it as well. It's a great idea, especially for my area, but the performance, longevity, and value just isn't there yet for your average daily driver.