Tint different colors/work quality

12 hours ago, Tintguy1980 said:

Yes the back looks darker, not by much, but it is darker. The model of your car explains the privacy glass. Usually privacy glass is not found on 4-door sedans, however, there are exceptions for markets outside the US. SUV of any size has privacy glass with clear all around a rarity.

Privacy glass can vary from 5%, found in buses and limousines, to 20-25%VLT to those reporting 30%; it really depends on who produced the glass.

And, the performance numbers given for privacy glass will vary as well, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say, today they all have values similar to what I wrote in my Jeep reply. What was once used in high-end vehicles eventually trickles down to the everyday family car. I've been retired since 2015 and those value existed even then. A bit of deep-dive research will give values on privacy glass performance. Good luck, because many glass producers are vague in the info they share.

There's a powerful meter available through EDTM (if they still exist); I think it's model 2250, and is what I used in 2014 to gather info on auto glass performance. It was my own curiosity that sent me out to car lots. The shocker, then, was to find that Cadillac had greenish glass in like we all know of, but the one front door I measured at VLT 70%, TSER of 47%, and a UV rejection of 98-99%.

Automotive glass has evolved in performance since, I believe the late 80's into the 90's, to what can be found on most vehicles today. It's all about cooling the cabin to reduce any AC strain on the motor, leading to reduced gas use, and lowered emissions.

Many window tinters, car dealerships (and car owners) may or may not be fully aware of what the glass performance is today, they have a business' to keep afloat. Then there's the variations in where the best performing glass gets used. A crap shoot for the consumer, so it's best to continue using solar film products to cover all bases AND to boost the existing performance the glass may or may not have.

Time to zip the keys.:jerkit

Thanks for confirming the back looks darker, I was starting to worry something went wrong or the wrong film was used or something. 

Your explanation of privacy glass makes sense. I’m sure different countries probably have different specced glass as well due to regulations and the like. I for us, because we can’t tint the front windshield, the heat rejection stuff isn’t a huge deal as so much heat will

come through that window anyway.

I have also noticed some rattles on the left side of the car since having the tint done. They are coming from either the door panels or the window, it’s really annoying. It’s possible that this happened when they took the door panels on and off. The car only has 1500km on it and it doesn’t sound like a 1500km car anymore. That’s about 1000 miles for you US folk. Don’t know whether to get the tint shop to look at it or ask the dealership to. 

On 1/26/2024 at 1:01 PM, Tintguy1980 said:

Before the question is asked, that privacy glass is about 20% visible light transmission, 60-65% total solar energy rejection and 95-99% UV reduction. The fronts were 70% VLT light factory tint (green glass) before adding Crystalline 40.

Going to need to do a search on older threads. How did you come up with the 60-65 on the SE rejection ?

I always thought on my SUV that came with your standard 20% privacy on all rears and back, it was just privacy in just chemically treated glass from the factory with no SE rejection.

I generally opt for 70% on these

7 hours ago, mobiledynamics said:

Going to need to do a search on older threads. How did you come up with the 60-65 on the SE rejection ?

I always thought on my SUV that came with your standard 20% privacy on all rears and back, it was just privacy in just chemically treated glass from the factory with no SE rejection.

I generally opt for 70% on these

That is what I thought too for here in Aus. Perhaps it is different in the states? Not sure where you are located. 

Whoops, forgot one thing maybe two.

They are also using lowE technology in auto glass; from what I saw when seeking the other info, it is being used in sunroof and panorama roofs. If it is a single sheet and not laminated, any film applied to the actual lowE coating negates the lowE properties (which is the same for architectural glass (single pane lowE glass).

Also, I mentioned the EDTM meter and I must admit I am unsure whether the ID is 2250 or 2450. I know it was pricey back in 2014, but it was found to be as accurate (-/+ 2-3%) as the photospectrometers mannies use that cost 100K or above.

Adding the Global 70% ceramic to a factory 20% tinted glass would be RATHER beneficial as far as heat rejection, without making it any darker.  The 70% ceramic from Global performs amazingly, granted the color could be a little better, but I will overlook that part for the amount of IR and heat rejection you get out of such a clear-ish film.  I recommend this shade all the time to my senior customers who don't want to go any darker but complain about the heat.   :twocents 

8 hours ago, Bham said:

Adding the Global 70% ceramic to a factory 20% tinted glass would be RATHER beneficial as far as heat rejection, without making it any darker.  The 70% ceramic from Global performs amazingly, granted the color could be a little better, but I will overlook that part for the amount of IR and heat rejection you get out of such a clear-ish film.  I recommend this shade all the time to my senior customers who don't want to go any darker but complain about the heat.   :twocents 

Similar to what I was going for, although my rear wasn’t 20% privacy. Still, the 70% film was the best choice to maintain legality while improving all the other specs significantly.