Tint different colors/work quality

I recently had my car tinted which has rear privacy glass. Where I live the fronts can be 35% vlt and rears 20% legally. I opted to stay in this range. Due to the privacy glass on the back I put 70% there and 40% on the front. I knew this wouldn’t match darkness, but it’s closer than they were factory and stayed without the legal range. The manufacturer of the tint is Global who I understand to be quite good. Due to varying vlt options, I used two different tints on the back and front. So same manufacturer, but different ‘line’.  Otherwise the back would have had horrible heat properties and the front more lighter in shade. It was the best combo for heat/vlt. From the outside colors look ok. From the inside the front is blue/green and rear yellow/orange. I was told no matter what I do the front will not match the back anyway, so mixing tint lines is not a big deal. I’m wondering though if I stuck to the same line it would be less of a difference? Then I got to thinking, maybe it would be more. Maybe the privacy glass tint + different tint actually brought it closer to the fronts (if that makes sense). Depending on the color of the privacy glass, it could make it worse or better. I actually can’t remember the original shade of the privacy glass. Just wondering what people think about this? Should I have matched tint lines and sacrificed the other things, or would it have not made a difference? I tried to upload a pic but I’m getting an error. 

The tint is still drying and curing so there are bubbles still. Apart from this and one other thing the job looks quite good. On the rear, the cut is fairly wonky and doesn’t cover the whole window. I’ve tried to upload a pic for this too but still getting errors. I’m wondering if I am nit picking on this one. There’s also an edge not sticking down properly in the same area where the dot matrix is. I’ve read this is a common issue so I guess that is what it is. 

I assume it has more to do with the factory privacy glass since you added a 70% over it. Most 70% films are going to have a bluish hue but are so light, it is barely noticeable. Some of the Global tinters can chime in on the color but knowing year/make/model vehicle might help.

I would take it back to the tinter to redo it for the light gap or at least to stick the edge down better. The longer you wait, the harder to remove if getting redone and the adhesive will dry up from that lifted section.

40 minutes ago, DynamicATL said:

I assume it has more to do with the factory privacy glass since you added a 70% over it. Most 70% films are going to have a bluish hue but are so light, it is barely noticeable. Some of the Global tinters can chime in on the color but knowing year/make/model vehicle might help.

I would take it back to the tinter to redo it for the light gap or at least to stick the edge down better. The longer you wait, the harder to remove if getting redone and the adhesive will dry up from that lifted section.

Thanks for the response. It’s actually the 40% I put on the front that seems blue with the 70% on the back seeming more orange (imagine Mexico movie filter)

The car is an i30N hatchback 2023. We measured the privacy glass on the back and I think it was somewhere around the 30% mark. It was surprisingly high from memory compared to what I’ve read other privacy glass is. 

Thanks, I might do that. Just the hassle of finding the time with work and all that to get there.  So to clarify, the tint covers all the area that is exposed to the light. It’s just this section of about 10-20mm (inch or more) that it doesn’t cover and the line is wonky. This area is glass but is a grayish color so I think it’s where the dot matrix might be adhered to or something. I might have managed to upload a pic actually this time! I got the color difference one up too!

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

The Global 70 ceramic has a slight brass hue. The HP 40 is fairly neutral. The blue may be in the glass itself.

If you place a white piece of paper behind a window not tinted you can see whatever color intonation is in the glass from the factory. Each manufacturer specs something different.

FWIW the Global 70 is the best performing out of their entire lineup. I have it in a light box with some of the darker shades and the difference is blatantly noticeable.

I speculate that it's two base layers of ceramic laminated with a scratch coat. I can't think of any other reason that it would perform so well.

I don't think the rear of that vehicle has any factory privacy glaze on the glass. The front is definitely darker. It may say AS2-TINT but that's a glaze primarily for uv reduction, not privacy.

Strip the front doors and put 70ceramic on them would be my suggestion.

The rear definitely has privacy glass. The car is specced with it, I’ve seen it myself, and I’ve had a few different tint shops identify it as privacy glass with factory tint as well as had the VLT measured.

Both tints are made by Global but a different line. The one on the front (40%) is marketed as a ‘black’ tint and the one on the rear (70%) is the top of the range. The 40% looked quite different to the 70% when off the window. It looked how it looks now I guess. I did put a sample of the 70% line which was 45% on the front but the 40% looked better. I’ll send you a link of the two different tints. 

I would return and request the 70% be removed from the rear doors, the small quarter glass and replaced with 50%. This should bring you closer to an in series color match than you see now. The back glass won't be as obvious as looking through the side from outside the car.

They likely will charge you for the replacement. Just don't be shy about asking for a break in the price to redo. It's a yes or no question, so the difference is in how you handle the answer.

They can also address your 'wonky' issue when there. This may be film edge lift off the border dot matrix. Sometimes pressing the film back to the glass will get it to stay. Like I said, the shop can address that.

25 minutes ago, Tintguy1980 said:

I would return and request the 70% be removed from the rear doors, the small quarter glass and replaced with 50%. This should bring you closer to an in series color match than you see now. The back glass won't be as obvious as looking through the side from outside the car.

They likely will charge you for the replacement. Just don't be shy about asking for a break in the price to redo. It's a yes or no question, so the difference is in how you handle the answer.

They can also address your 'wonky' issue when there. This may be film edge lift off the border dot matrix. Sometimes pressing the film back to the glass will get it to stay. Like I said, the shop can address that.

Thanks. I know in that photo the front looks darker than the rear but i don’t think it actually is. When you look from the outside in you can see the rear is darker. When measuring the VLT it was definitely darker on the machine. Front came in at 37% and rear was high 20s I think. I think it’s partly that the front is a different line and is marketed as being ‘black’ so in certain lights and angles it appears darker. 

Have uploaded more photos which hopefully show the rear as darker. Let me know if you still the front is darker. Front is car2 and rear is car3. Car1 is both. 

Car1.jpeg

Car 2.jpeg

Car3.jpeg

Better photo from inside out. It does seem that from the outside the rear is darker and from the inside the front. Not sure if this is just due to the different ‘black’ tint dye on the front or maybe that’s how privacy glass works? Dark looking in, light looking out? 

Car4.jpeg

I have a 15 Jeep Cherokee with privacy and 40% 3M Crystalline on the fronts only. Distinct bluish look in certain lighting compared to the privacy. It irked me in the beginning, but that eventually subsided to, f**k it, I'm not doing it over. Inside looking out is a tad off, but there isn't any bluish hue.

Privacy glass varies in color from glass manufacturer to glass

manufacturer, so my privacy glass will definitely have a different look than your car's glass. It's crap shoot when adding aftermarket film.

Cheers