Window tint dust

Just asking a question that had made me very irritated lately. I’m relatively new in the tint game but I can tint doors flawlessly. However when I tint windshields in particular I cannot figure out how to not get small dust spots on the side of the windshield every single time. I have watched many videos on the reverse roll technique I try to take not hitting the side panels very serious when applying the tint however still seem to run into issues with dust specs. Please help!

IMG_5758.jpeg

You may already know these and I'm not here to insult your knowledge base. I just hope it's useful info.

Some of it may sound redundant, but a tinter quickly learns, contaminates are the enemy and requires the same kind of focus on surrounding detail(s) similar to someone riding a motorcycle in heavy car/truck traffic.

Frankenstein method of install:

Mist and squeegee clean peel board surface before placing the pattern onto it. How you do that may or may not be the process mentioned in the next paragraph.

Ensure the back of the pattern has been rinsed clean, eliminating any contaminates picked up from auto glass surface when hand cutting or a plotter run, before placing on peel board surface. This is best done by laying the pattern liner down on peel board, smoothing flat, light mist and squeegee clean. Carefully fold pattern without creasing, lift away holding with one hand, while the other mists peel board surface and squeegees it clean and now lay pattern on cleaned surface.

Lightly mist the headliner and seats just before entering.

Lightly mist the film's liner surface before peeling.

Rinse both hands, forearms, and all ten fingers before lifting pattern from peel board.

````````````````````````````````````````

Reverse-roll install:

Follow above when and where necessary.

When the pattern is staged flat on the cleaned peel board (to lift liner for wetting adhesive), mist the liner surface, carefully squeegee dry including surrounding glass surface, rinse hands/fingers/forearms before lifting liner to wet adhesive, wet adhesive/replace liner/roll up and install.

Additional note: Be mindful of the type of fabric your clothing is made of, it will hold contaminates as well. Dry air causes static that can pull particles to your clothing. Use a tight-fit hat or bandana, if you know your hair is flaky.

It's definitely a journey. 🙏 Namaste.

Makes sure you wipe the leading  edge/ side you squeegee from or that can happen. Also, when reverse rolling, don’t put film all the way in the edge you roll from until it completely rolled out. Doing so will pull contamination out of the side edge. You can spray some foaming glass cleaner along all edges and hard card with towel to help. Lots other good info posted. 

Edited by pbalentine