What got You Started?

Guest General Sun Shield

Guest General Sun Shield

As for me, My father started in 1974. So I was raised in the biz.

Started working with him at 14 years old in summers cleaning glass,picking up trash etc...by 16 I was tinting cars,

In High School I used the Auto Shop as an Installation Bay. Did kids cars and the principles Motor Home...How do you think I graduated? :rollin

And after High School I jumped in as a full time installer. And Here I am.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sonny ogles

had just turned 17 and was looking for a job and in a last ditch effort to fined work I stopped in to a tint shop the town over from where I lived and as luck would have it he was looking for a do boy and as time went on I became one of the best in the area and from there I worked for some other shops until I opened my own place

Pretty much the same thing..Dad did commercial and residential in 1978 , I started with him handing tool , cleaning windows when I was 8 yrs old, by the time I was 13, I could tint flatglass just because of being around it so much after school /summer jobs , 14 tried my first car , 16 start my own side biz with cars (dad didn't want anything to do with them ) :rollin

Flat glass brought up, auto for the most part self taught, worked in a big city shop for a couple of yrs which helped me get doors down :rollin

Guest thatsnappyguy

seen that my cousin bought tint and did his cargo windows on his van. though it was the coolest thing. so I bought tint and tried it myself...I sucked so bad and didnt have a clue. so I went with some of my freinds when they got thier cars tinted...talked to the tinter, and he basically let me work there for a few months. got the basics from there and then it took off.....

I grew up in the apartment industry, was a general manager at an upscale retirememnt community when I got involved. Back then I had a friend from highschool who was having financial problems and helped him out with his biz. Within six months he bailed and the property I was working at was sold. My position was replaced. I just started working the business full time.

It was a detailing company and one day I had a customer who wanted his new Mustang tinted and asked if I would handle it for him. I had no clue, made some phone calls and subbed it out to a trim shop. I watched the guy do the work and decided this was something I needed to add to the business. It took me about three months to figure out eveything. In '94 I watched a guy heat shrink and the rest is history

Guest General Sun Shield
precisely why I don't let anyone in my tint bay. :rollin

Yeah , we have had a few installers go out on thier own over the years. But it happens in every biz, my wife owns a Barber Shop/Salon...Girls are always trying to open a new shop..some work out...most dont :rollin

I always wanted the cool car with tinted windows... 'tried' DIY from when I finished building my first car at 16 till a few years ago.... Finally on my last DIY attempt I decided to learn how to do it right... bought every dvd I could find off e-bay and a few rolls of film and started learning in my garage..

Now from 92' till a few years ago I have been a car electronics installer. Everything from basic stereo's to cruise controls, power windows, rear defrosters, etc.... When I started tinting I was AMAZED at how few tools you needed. One morning I looked over at my overlly large box of tools equal to at least a years pay and decided tinting was where it was at! :rollin

Today I zoom around with a little arpon of squegee's and make the same as I did with a 60k tool box! :rollin

Archived