What got You Started?

Guest General Sun Shield

I got a truck when I turned 16. started customizing it and tinting was one of the things I wanted to do to it. tried it out. looked like shiat. good from far but far from good. :rollin ended up doing all my buddy's cars. and here I am. :rollin

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for me, My father started in 1974. So I was raised in the biz.

Started working with him at 14 years old in summers cleaning glass,picking up trash etc...by 16 I was tinting cars,

In High School I used the Auto Shop as an Installation Bay. Did kids cars and the principles Motor Home...How do you think I graduated? :rollin

And after High School I jumped in as a full time installer. And Here I am.

Pretty much the same thing..Dad did commercial and residential in 1978 , I started with him handing tool , cleaning windows when I was 8 yrs old, by the time I was 13, I could tint flatglass just because of being around it so much after school /summer jobs , 14 tried my first car , 16 start my own side biz with cars (dad didn't want anything to do with them ) :rollin

Flat glass brought up, auto for the most part self taught, worked in a big city shop for a couple of yrs which helped me get doors down :rollin

I have the similar story :lol

I started with trimline as a driver for a mobile stripe installer who was a drunk and lost his licence. I learned that end of the business and moved on to a trimline shop that also did tinting. learned by watching the tinter whenever Iwas allowed in the tint bay :rollin they were very secretive about it for some reason. :rollin each trimline shop I worked at I picked up more tinting skillz.....and bad tint habits :rollin

Guest haroldshouseoftint

I came outta the womb slangin papas :lol

:rollin:lol:rollin

I believe I posted my whole story when I introduced myself here, I'll see if I can find it, but it's something similar to Blade :rollin

Here ya go

I tinted my first car in High School, then started to do a couple of buddies cars, then I got into car stereo and alarms, moved to Phoenix decided I didn't like being contorted under dash boards and in trunks, so got a job at a shop as a tint "helper", bought some film and spent alot of time doing and redoing my car until I got it "perfect" and went from there, I spent 13 1/2 years working for dealers doing tint, and was doing side jobs evenings and weekends for about 9 of those years, and 2 years ago decided I had enough clients built up and was sick of working for someone else, so I went out on my own.

about 30 days ago, I called to get a price on monthly rent for a shop for my slow going satellite and security biz. the guy who owned the place said, "man, had one of those here before and I have to be honest... it didn't do well. but, I'll tell you what would do well is a tint shop. I've been trying to get the only guy around here that tints to tint a couple cars for me and he keeps putting me off." the rest is history. I bought some training dvd's from the net. ordered tools and tint. and started on my wife's car. learned dry shrinking in 2 days with multiple attempts. been at it for a couple of weeks. on my 7th car from a local dealership which I seem to have much biz from. and feel ok about it. I'm super slow which makes big money impossible for now. most cars I'm keeping overnight. dot matrix has me down and out since all the cars I'm doing are brand new and not sold yet. other than that. I think I will do well. I plan to do mobile and focus on dealerships mostly. word of mouth seems to be big in this biz. I plan to work it to the fullest. I also got a lot of help here. much thanx to those willing to share tips and trix with a noob.

I was working in IT.... contractor and the job ended right when everything was drying up. My friend worked for a shop and asked if I wanted to work there... did that for a couple years... went out on my own.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. While I like IT work, tinting is way less stressful. :rollin

-R

Guest robdgaf

I was driving cars to our sister store where the tinter was. he liked me and wanted to start training me boss said ok about a year later they built me a shop over at my store and ive been knocking them out ever since

I bought a Trim-Line franchise 20 yrs ago. Included was a couple of rolls of tint and a video showing how to do tint. The video included a section that showed how to tint the old camero back glass in about 4 or 5 pieces :rollin . About a year after I bought it, a buddy of mine wanted his truck tinted....I figured, I had watched the vid...how hard could it be?? After going through one whole roll of tint, and looking at all my tools on the other side of the shop on the floor...below the spot on the wall that I had thrown them...I figured tinting wasnt for me.

A year or 2 after that, we were invited to a weekend training seminar on how to heat shrink. I went to the seminar...asked tons of questions and picked the trainers brain apart in between sessions. Got home...started trying on friends and personal vehicles until I was happy with the quality and consistancy of work (which took awhile and alot of tint...cuz im a picky sumbitch) I was putting out, then started offering it through the business. 17 yrs later Trim-Line is a tiny speck in the rear view mirror, but business is still growing and I'm still learning...but I've never looked back. :rollin :rollin

Started as water leak repair on my own in 98, slowly added and discarded different things.

Always wanted to learn to tint.

Had my sister-n-laws tahoe done for her one Christmas as a gift, the guy was a complete and total prick, so I decided, " screw this assholemf, I'll learn this sh!t"....

Went to factory training facility and here we are....

The prick went dood has left town.....

It all started when I was 18 just bought my first car and decided to tint it one day. I went out bought me a roll of that professional film we call Secret Zone :lol lol...well I had someone who saw me doing it and asked me how much I charge? that's when it hit me, I could make money doing this :thumb ..since I worked I an Auto Supply store I was able to get free film to practice on friends cars so I got better at it til I was introduced to a friend that did this on a professional level with good film, and I took it from there... :lol

Archived