What got You Started?

Guest General Sun Shield

I like to hear an "AMEN" to all the old schoolers that can say this :

"I used to be able to charge more for a less quality job based on today's standards in the 80's early ninety's " :thumb

"I used to be able to charge more for a less quality job based on today's standards in the 80's early ninety's " :lol

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A guy I know, from out of town opened a shop here cause he thought it is a great bussines, and offered me a job, at first I did'n realize how effective tint is, but when I took a drive in his tinted car and talked to him about the benefits of filmed glass I decided to start working for him. Eight months later he realized that he wont be able to pull this thru cause he doesn't know how to tint and the bussines didn't start as good as he expected it to, so he decided to close the shop.At the same time my mother had a stroke and was partialy paralized so I tried to figure out the way to make a living and be able to take care off her, and I realized that there is future in this so I sold my apartment and started my own shop at the same place he pushed for eight months, I also bought off the phone numbers and all the tools. Less than five years later I'm still in the bussines and I'm loving it more and more each day. And my mother recovered completely.

"I used to be able to charge more for a less quality job based on today's standards in the 80's early ninety's " :lol

"I used to be able to charge more for a less quality job based on today's standards in the 80's early ninety's " :lol2

"AMEN" :thumb and "AMEN" :lol2 :lol2 :lol :lol

A guy I know, from out of town opened a shop here cause he thought it is a great bussines, and offered me a job, at first I did'n realize how effective tint is, but when I took a drive in his tinted car and talked to him about the benefits of filmed glass I decided to start working for him. Eight months later he realized that he wont be able to pull this thru cause he doesn't know how to tint and the bussines didn't start as good as he expected it to, so he decided to close the shop.At the same time my mother had a stroke and was partialy paralized so I tried to figure out the way to make a living and be able to take care off her, and I realized that there is future in this so I sold my apartment and started my own shop at the same place he pushed for eight months, I also bought off the phone numbers and all the tools. Less than five years later I'm still in the bussines and I'm loving it more and more each day. And my mother recovered completely.

A good story ..and good recovery for mom :thumb

If only I learned the meaning of 1 word back in the 80's and early 90's ...INVEST :lol

My family ownes a huge bodyshop in Denver....I wanted to paint cars... :lol My grandad said NO...check out windowtinting....seems like an up and comming industry........... :thumb The shop had an inhouse tinter from Texas workin for them and he walked me through the process. My teacher is still a good friend and has a nice job with BMW/Honda.

I began doing window tinting on my first car in 1989. A friend had tinted his own car and was coming to help me out with mine. He was habitually late and this time was no different. I ended up with most of the car done before he showed up to help me. Over the next few years I tinted many friends cars and this led me to begin my business almost 10 years later in 1999.

copied from my profile.....but still true

I always wanted the cool car with tinted windows... 'tried' DIY from when I finished building my first car at 16 till a few years ago.... Finally on my last DIY attempt I decided to learn how to do it right... bought every dvd I could find off e-bay and a few rolls of film and started learning in my garage..

Now from 92' till a few years ago I have been a car electronics installer. Everything from basic stereo's to cruise controls, power windows, rear defrosters, etc.... When I started tinting I was AMAZED at how few tools you needed. One morning I looked over at my overlly large box of tools equal to at least a years pay and decided tinting was where it was at! :lol

Today I zoom around with a little arpon of squegee's and make the same as I did with a 60k tool box! :lol

Same as me except mines was 20k tool box :thumb

Archived