What got You Started?

Guest General Sun Shield

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same as me except mines was 20k tool box :eyebrows

:thumb Maybe I was exagerating a touch... :lol Either way.. I KNOW if I was ripped off tonight.. I can have a new set of tools here tomorrow and continue with business as normal for not much more than a hamburger happy meal! :lol

Guest nikluvNearl

Hell I was 16 or 17 years old, drop out of high school started selling crack. honestly because my friends was selling it and had a pockets full of money and I didn't.. so after 3 days I made about 1900.00. so I went and get me a little $ 1000.00 car, I bought me a 67 2 door impala hard top..So I went to get it tinted. and the place charge me 350.00 for 2 hours of work..and it was 2 tinters in the shop and about 15 cars out (and now I am doing the math) side waiting for tint..Now the cat I was selling dope for was across the street get his pathfinder hand wash.. and a van pull up next to him and shot his ass dead right where he stood....so every one runs outside to see what happen.. and I am standing out side and the owner of the shop ask me what happen , and I told him my boss got shot..and he said your boss I am your boss and took me under his wing and showed me how to tint. in 1989 we was doing strips on back glasses and about 1990- sun gurd rep showed us how to heat shrink. I was making about 1000.00 to 1500.00 a week with my job and making about 700.00 a week out my parents garage so now I got just a much money as the dope boys, don't have to look over my shoulders at party's and stuff thinking someone is going to kill me.... and at that time what I loved about the tinting game at that time in early years I could spend all my money one night.. get up the next day and make 800.00 easy.......Well I stayed with that shop for about 6 years, opened up my shop on Utica ave in Brooklyn..for about 3 years and went to visit Atlanta GA and stayed in Atlanta and open up a shop in 2003 been here ever since in the same location from 2003 to date.

thank you Glen Norris from couch busters on Atlantic ave in Brooklyn NY back in 1988 or 1989

Hell I was 16 or 17 years old, drop out of high school started selling crack. honestly because my friends was selling it and had a pockets full of money and I didn't.. so after 3 days I made about 1900.00. so I went and get me a little $ 1000.00 car, I bought me a 67 2 door impala hard top..So I went to get it tinted. and the place charge me 350.00 for 2 hours of work..and it was 2 tinters in the shop and about 15 cars out (and now I am doing the math) side waiting for tint..Now the cat I was selling dope for was across the street get his pathfinder hand wash.. and a van pull up next to him and shot his ass dead right where he stood....so every one runs outside to see what happen.. and I am standing out side and the owner of the shop ask me what happen , and I told him my boss got shot..and he said your boss I am your boss and took me under his wing and showed me how to tint. in 1989 we was doing strips on back glasses and about 1990- sun gurd rep showed us how to heat shrink. I was making about 1000.00 to 1500.00 a week with my job and making about 700.00 a week out my parents garage so now I got just a much money as the dope boys, don't have to look over my shoulders at party's and stuff thinking someone is going to kill me.... and at that time what I loved about the tinting game at that time in early years I could spend all my money one night.. get up the next day and make 800.00 easy.......Well I stayed with that shop for about 6 years, opened up my shop on Utica ave in Brooklyn..for about 3 years and went to visit Atlanta GA and stayed in Atlanta and open up a shop in 2003 been here ever since in the same location from 2003 to date.

thank you Glen Norris from couch busters on Atlantic ave in Brooklyn NY back in 1988 or 1989

Good for you man!! I am happy for you. We need more stories like that.

Saw a guy doing it at the stereo shop I was at and started talking to him and he said he paid his way thru college tinting. Started checkin into it, went to flatrockstan's school and started doing it on nights and weekends then said I can do this. Custy of mine did only flat glass and he said I'll give you as much auto as you want and I got a one bay shop to use. I told him sign me up. Since then just tryin to learn as much as possible because knowledge is power.

It was the summer of 86 It was hotter than Georgia asphalt. My buddy comes up to me and says ol'e boy up the street can tint your windows for $50. I ask him what is tint? He told me. I told him I'll be back. Well ol'e boy said $50 and I buy the tint. (don't remember how much) I ask him were to get it. Went and got it. And he went to work on the Nova (74SS that is I miss that car) and I watched. Turns out he didn't know how to do back windows! Well I went back and told My buddy I can do that lets do your car. Thats when I learned not to razor blade a defroster. After that I did all my buddys cars and trucks. Then when I turned 17 had a girlfriend and forgot about tint. Then when I turned 21 a friend ask me if wanted to start a shop. I told him I didn't think I was good enough. He found Enpro we did their 2 day class in 1. And started a shop. Spent my money faster than I made it. And that was it for the shop. Worked a few shops :dunno through out the years. And when my dad past away in 05 left me some money. I sat on it for about a year and watch my sister blow hers. And I found a nice building (not the best part of town). But it worked for 2 years, Then I found this new building on the main drag, and I've been here 4 weeks and so far so good!

Archived