windshield strip

Guest Jason

Any tips on doing a small strip of tint on the windshield? (some call it an eyebrow)

I did it before by using an auto writer on the outside glass- then installing a larger peice of tint on the inside- and finishing by freehand cutting the curved line I made.

The line was not perfectly straight when you looked closeup. no matter, it was a coworkers car anyways.

Ive heard of a curved ruler called a french curve, should I be using one of those- or does someone have a better solution?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest live2zzz
Any tips on doing a small strip of tint on the windshield?  (some call it an eyebrow)

I did it before by using an auto writer on the outside glass- then installing a larger peice of tint  on the inside- and finishing by freehand cutting the curved line I made.

The line was not perfectly straight when you looked closeup. no matter, it was a coworkers car anyways.

Ive heard of a curved ruler called a french curve, should I be using one of those- or does someone have a better solution?

[*]242792

hay jason.the way you di it is to use the straight edge of your film for your botom line and cut your film on the out side of the glass that way you dont have thrash.free handing a straight edge is hard and will drive you nuts! :evileye

He wants a curved bottom edge...not a factory straight edge. Check in the tip of the week section. I'm pretty sure there's a tip in there with an easy way of doin' 'em. I always just mark it and freehand it if that's what the customer wants.

Thanks. Took a while to find it, but tint terrorist had a good way of doing it with the roll holder. I had to read it a few times to figure out what the hell he was saying, but I got it. :lol2

Guest asistint

Good luck with that. I always use the factory edge. The only time I freehand is when the factory edge is got some imperfections in it I trim 1/8 in off of it. I'm going to try to find that post on the curve trick.

Guest tint rookie

I just use one of my nylon boards for getting behind 3rd brake lights. (really just a 6x10x1/16 piece of plastic) I drilled holes the length of the board and curled up one end of it. ill lay and shrink scrap from a backglass, cut my top and side edge. use the curled edge against the windshield frame, insert sharpie pen into hole at desired length of visor and drag across the windshield. I just freehand the lil curves at the ends. then I trim around the mirror if its stuck to the glass. notheing left to do but to peel and stick, frankenstien style.

Just finished. It turned out nice- took me two tries tho.

Next time I'll try to taper the sides, looks better that way.

How do you get both sides even? Im guessing you fold it in half.

Archived