windshield strip

Guest Jason

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any tips on doing a small strip of tint on the windshield?? (some call it an eyebrow)

I did it before by using an auto writer on the outside glass- then installing a larger peice of tint? on the inside- and finishing by freehand cutting the curved line I made.

The line was not perfectly straight when you looked closeup. no matter, it was a coworkers car anyways.

Ive heard of a curved ruler called a french curve, should I be using one of those- or does someone have a better solution?

[*]242792

Cut your visor pattern and if you want the bottom edge to mimic the top you can use the bow guide pictured below:

Measure and mark how much visor you want (4, 5, 6 inch) down from the top (See pic 1)

Place the bow guide in place along your marks, which has been adjusted to bend or bow exactly as the top of the pattern or windshield does (See pic 2)

Cut along bowed guide using an extended blade in your Olfa (See pic 3)

post-149-1106678362.jpg

post-149-1106678375.jpg

post-149-1106678393.jpg

This might be a dumb question, but on some carss, the AS1 mark is not present on some windshields. How far down the windshield is AS1?

[*]243499

If a car doesn't have a visible AS1 line, it may not have one. I am not sure on how they determine the location of this line, but I did have a customer come in last summer claiming that he was ticketed for a 4" strip I added to his windshield.

According to the cop, the car he had didn't have enough height visibility for an AS1 line to exist, and therefore any tint on the top was illegal. And, sure enough, his car did not have an AS1 line marked on the glass.

Thanks. Took a while to find it, but tint terrorist had a good way of doing it with the roll holder. I had to read it a few times to figure out what the hell he was saying, but I got it.

TINT_TERRORIST IS A MIRACLE MAN when it comes to visors :shock

he is alittle hard to understand though with all "DAT DER...MANG, MUG, and SHIZZZZ" :

:eyebrows

:gayfight

This might be a dumb question, but on some carss, the AS1 mark is not present on some windshields. How far down the windshield is AS1?

[*]243499

If a car doesn't have a visible AS1 line, it may not have one. I am not sure on how they determine the location of this line, but I did have a customer come in last summer claiming that he was ticketed for a 4" strip I added to his windshield.

According to the cop, the car he had didn't have enough height visibility for an AS1 line to exist, and therefore any tint on the top was illegal. And, sure enough, his car did not have an AS1 line marked on the glass.

[*]251179

This makes sense... since the AS1 line denotes the highest point of the critical viewing area of a windshield. :eyebrows

Guest Key West

I like to use the Bottom of the windshield as a pattern to cut the curve. on MOST vehicles, the bottom curve of the wind screen is ABOUT the same as is the top. And bigger too. Cut the curve on the bottom, slide it to the top and :phone , there you go. I try to discourage that f...ing strip unless there is NO factory tint. I don't think they are worth the 15 or 20 dollars add on sale :phone

I agree, Key West.

An Eyebrow should be worth 30 to 40 bucks considering the time it takes and the amount of film used.

I hate 'em.

I don't know if anyone ever thought of this, but...

Typical side rollup window = 18 inches tall by 33 inches long.

typical amount of film needed to make an eyebrow = 7-9 inches tall by 55-60 inches long.

Almost the same amount of film needed, typically half the price charged. :poop

In order to not waste too much material on these suckers, I take and cut off 60" from the 36" roll (usually 5% is most popular), and then cut it into four 9" strips. This way, I am not wasting much film (four cars from 60" of material), and the 9" width has served me good, even on the most curved windshields.

Archived