PA TINTERS: lets change our tint laws!

Guest SSC

I had a minute so I looked up pa laws.  is it the law or the interpretation of it that's the issue? I looked at this site:  http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/  very vague imo :dunno

[*]244281

I've seen that site, there is some truth there.

The law is a problem because no specification is given, that's why it needs to change. It's up to the officers what they want to enforce, which is a big problem for installers. The actual law says one thing, but then PENNDOT puts out a 'Fact Sheet' that says 70%... which is annoying because since when does PENNDOT get to decide the law? I didn't vote them in. You get the point.

Yes, tint tickets can be fought and won. But who has time?

I'll keep you posted via the board. I'm writing to the legislators to introduced HB2257 to convince them of the need to author a revised version and attempt to get the FOP's blessing earlier in the process.

Yes, tint tickets can be fought and won. But who has time?

Since when has ANYONE been given a ticket that says "Illegal Tint"????!!!!

I know of FOUR people that have been pulled over (illegal, its a secondary offense like a seatbelt) and been given a ticket for a windshield obstruction!!! The cop said, "There ya go, take that shiot off in ten days and Ill let it go"

Wheres the ticket that allowed him/her to pull you over in the first place???

And where on the $104 ticket does it metion ANYTHING about window tint??????

If it really was illegal to have 35% or even 20%, then where is that stated in the law or even the ticket????

I spoke with a couple people who feel strongly, from state police influence, that 20% is legal for D/P because you can still technically see in. Dome light at night, and light through the windshield during the day!!!

...and the state inspection will pass any car with 5% D/P, because it is not an obstruction like a sticker would be.

I am in SE PA, near Collegeville. I started tinting as a part time college job in the mid 80's (yes, that means I am old) and then the laws were very clear denying state safety inspection for VLT lower than 70%. That "fact sheet" was written in and for 1996. It is not valid any more an now it is 9 years old.

I tint personal cars for many police / troopers and several high profile government agencies - I tell you that because they all agree that the fact sheet is just a tool to give tickets to those who are flagrant violaters (I.e. 5% all around and neon lights and 22" spiners - get the point) in a state where no black and white laws exist on the topic.

Current law in PA has 2 parts - vehicle code and inspection code.... in the inspection code there is nothing - anything goes. In the vehicle code it says basically that the occupant must be visible. That itself is terribly ambiguous so it leaves a lot open for tickets and fighting them. I agree that a % is needed, but I don't think I do any more or less business because of the loose laws.

If I can help with the legislation I would be glad to, it sounds like you have a great start. You can PM me or reply to this thread, I think it notifies us of new posts.

Archived