PA TINTERS: lets change our tint laws!

Guest SSC

The president of the Pennsylvania Fraternial Order of Police responded to my letter referenced in

This Thread. <-Click me

:lol:gasp:lol:evileye

But I started a new topic about it because I wanted a more exciting subject line....

Text of the letter:

Dear Ms. Snyder:

Thank you for your recent e-mail concerning HB 2257 and for taking the time to provide me with your views on the subject of vehicle window tinting. As stated, vehicle window tinting is a very important issue to Law Enforcement and I must at all time put officer safety first.

However, should there be a way in which your concerns and officer safety be met at the same time, we may be able to agree on the same piece of Legislation.

Please contact me in the future should you wish that I review legislation that you may have introduced. Thank you very much

Very truly yours,

Mark Koch, State President

Fraternal Order of Police

Pennsylvania State Lodge

So here's what I'm thinking. I'm going to contact the representatives who introduced HB 2257 back in December of 2003 as well as the chairman of the House Committee of Transportation (again) and say let's revise this with the assistance of the FOP: "look, the FOP is willing to work together here and is willing to review new legislation, let's make some new legislation! The last bill introduced on the subject was too open. It proposed unrestricted tinting behind the driver. Of course the FOP didn't like it..." you get the point....

I'm excited about this! I want 35% on all windows. If I can't have 35% on all windows, I'll settle with 40 on the fronts and 35 behind the driver. Heck, I'll settle with almost anything but this stupid situation we have right now. 70% my azz.

PA TINTERS need to get organized! I'll write up a letter to send to these folks and get it in the mail with a copy of the correspondence from the original Representative I contacted, as well as this letter from Mark Koch. Once I get some sort of response, I'll get some names and addresses up here so other PA tinters can write similar letters. We need to agree to not ask for 5% or 15% or even 25%, why? Because Legislation doesn't work on compromise. You introduce a bill and it's either OK or it's back to the drawing board. So we need to ask for something reasonable (that being said, some tint the D&P would be nice).

Who's in? :gasp

Has the IWFA done anything to help you on this subject?

I would like to know because I contacted them to see if they have done, or are doing anything in Illinois. I got a responce from them telling me that they would check on the subject and get back to me.

Well its been about 2 months now and they still have not gotten back to me (which tells me that they are not that serious about the whole issue in Illinois).

I'm not an IWFA member. I always intended to be, but I assume that costs money, and ... well, we just won't go there.

Guest pAiNtBaLlEr88

Another plus side is customers coming to you to strip off their old 70% tint (I think that's what you stated) and tint their windows with the new darker, yet legal tint. More business and money for you.

I'm not an IWFA member. I always intended to be, but I assume that costs money, and ... well, we just won't go there.

[*]243151

I'm not a member yet, and am wondering if it would really be worth the time and money. I would think they would call back if they were serious about getting the laws changed.

I would also like to know if they really have done any good for any state in our industry.

Guest metint

[*]243151

I would still contact them to see if their legal counsel (Mr. Butner) can be of assistance.

You are going about it in the correct way, though... Props to you! :embar It really does have to come from those in the industry within the legislative territories these laws cover... meaning those like yourself.

All the IWFA can do is provide back up and the voice of all its members expressed through their legal counsel's participation in the process. Much the same as what occurs in other States whose laws have been changed or modified over the years.

Some State legislators do not want to listen to someone who resides outside their State or district... this is why the IWFA can only assist.

Don't receive a returned call? Email them through info@iwfa.com... don't get a response through email... get it to me and I'll take it and hand deliver during my lunch break. :embar

Another plus side is customers coming to you to strip off their old 70% tint (I think that's what you stated) and tint their windows with the new darker, yet legal tint. More business and money for you.

[*]243523

:thumbdown "their old 70% tint"

I like your attitude, but sorry... that's 70% net. I.e. film AND glass. on every window. which means in PA... you can't tint cars.

I chuckle when people say "just make it however dark is legal." can you imagine if they picked up the car and it had UVshield on it?

I talked to a kid here in town who got pulled over for tint in his s-10 xtreme. the kid insisted it was factory glass everywhere (and it was!). the cop put a light meter to his UNTINTED front window because he didn't believe the kid. it passed, of course. it really hadn't been tinted.

Archived