Advise needed

I have installed about 1100 sqft on a large corridor (about 110 windows 20"x 78")

He has hired a technical company and they have measured the difference in temperature

on the 2 floors below (exactly the same) and the difference is only 1 degree celcius.

Customer doesnt want to pay the invoice ??

Installed film Silver 60

Any advise how to handle this ???

Never had a complain like this before.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pmuzik

do a simple BTU measurement at the glass on the windows with the film and then the windows without the film there should be a difference. And it is NOT only the solar gain through windows that puts heat in the building, lots of other factors like lighting, equipment, occupant load etc. shiot there might be a lot more fat people on the two floors below they put off a lot more heat mang :duck What did you tell him to expect ? 60 % film is probably what 15 - 20% heat reduction :spank

Heat rises for one thing, and also the room will heat up the same

it just takes longer with solar control on the glass.

Sounds to me like they were either misled about the films performance or they are too cheap to pay.

Take there a$$ to court.

Always have customer sign a quote sheet before beginning the job.

remove the film from one window....use a laser thermometer to show them the temp difference on the floor infront of a tinted window compared to a clear window. then tell 'em to phuck off and pay the bill + the extra to retint the one window you used to prove the film's performance.

that is simply not right, like someone else above said, always have them sign the work order before ding the job.

its not even a "privacy" film or a film that reduces much heat anyway, I think this had this planned to screw you over, he definitely wants a job done for free, do what blades suggestion is, or do youre own measuring, this guy may have hired someone to give false "technical" results, good luck man...ifeel for you

Guest VOLTRON

yes with that lite of a film there isnt a large difference in before and after effect but there still is an effect and also there is the UV protection they are gaining aswell. That might not be what they were after but if they wanted to notice a great difference in temp then they should have gone with a darker film.

Also, call your distributor and find out from them what to do in this situation. They should be there to help you and should give you some suggestions.

Dont be so drastic as to hurry and take them to court, try to work things out and try and make sure they are satisfied, and unless they dont want to be helped then take them to court cause the amount of money you will spend in court may not be worth it.

I have installed about 1100 sqft on a large corridor (about 110 windows 20"x 78")

He has hired a technical company and they have measured the difference in temperature

on the 2 floors below (exactly the same) and the difference is only 1 degree celcius.

Customer doesnt want to pay the invoice ??

Installed film Silver 60

Any advise how to handle this ???

Never had a complain like this before.

[*]300974

You dropped the temp by almost 2f. I have no clue how much total solar energy that film rejects, but there is alot to consider.

When discussing lowering the temp in an area, there are many things to consider. How much air flow is there, what direction is the glass facing, etc.

I agree with everyone about going back with testing equipment to show that energy is being rejected at the glass area.

Who made the decision for that film? Was is speced out by a designer?

Contact the manufacturer and get their butt in there with you. They are the ones with the smarts and they should be backing you up.

remove the film from one window....use a laser thermometer to show them the temp difference on the floor infront of a tinted window compared to a clear window.  then tell 'em to phuck off and pay the bill + the extra to retint the one window you used to prove the film's performance.

[*]300991

Pretty much sums it up:dd

Guest Guest

Bottom line......They made the decision and placed the order to proceed.

Its like buying a Mustang and deciding you really wanted a Camero, or better yet getting new carpet and decide it doesnt match the couch so decide not to pay, no matter what the salesman said. It was there decision.

It may be a hard lesson to learn but always provide all the information, never overstate the performance of the product and make any gaurantees about the outcome. ( IE how many degrees it will drop, will they feel comfortable, they will love it blah blah) To many x-factors.

Make them sign a notice to proceed. Defining the material, method of payment, terms, dry out time and quality issues. Then when issues come up have them identify the signer and they will know who is responsible.

Best of Luck

( you could post the contacts # on this site. I am sure there is a bunch tinters who would love to talk to these a-holes)

Archived