Huge windows

Guest Solscreen

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name=

Devil' date='

Tell me more? I have had a fair success with the clear, I do understand regarding reducing some heat as well, just not confident with the repercussions that could follow if thermal cracking was a result.

Mike

[*]307878

Mike,

The sun always wins hands down and even a clear museum film like Madico make called CLS 200 XSR which has a broader UV spectrum range than conventional clear films still doesn't offer anywhere near enough protection on its own. The stock will still suffer!

For you with a south facing glass area that huge, the amount of penetration of the sun should be massive. Does the glass have an eave to partially shade?

You need to ping out visible light and IR in conjunction with the UV filtering.

The problem then arises when using metal content films because you get the increase in absorption and on laminated glass that size...well phew!

The heavier you go the more heat build up and that is why I wouldn't exceed a 70% VLT spectrally selective film. I still believe that should do quite a good job but make sure before signing the order for the OK that you show it in writing that any film will only delay the onset of fading and not prevent it.

I did a 95 pane clear laminated glass furniture showroom (5 X 9') with all north facing glass (opposite to you) and not only did the 35% film fade big time, but stock still had to be regularly moved.

Admittedly prior to film going on, a vase on a bedside wooden stained table when moved left a fade mark in just 3 days. Then they had to sell the stock as sun damaged.

I'd probably try the new Bekaert Hilite 70 just released onto the international market but it has to be edge sealed like V-Kool and join sealing will look sh!t. Make sure they know that too before the job.

Dev

I'd probably try the new Bekaert Hilite 70 just released onto the international market but it has to be edge sealed like V-Kool and join sealing will look sh!t. Make sure they know that too before the job.

Dev

[*]313528

Those films are sister to Vista VS70 and it is considered border line safe for install on single laminated. Considering the the size of the glass I would say those type films would also be beyond the safe point.

I could verify this with the mechanical, structural and energy engineers on staff, if you like?

Called the engineer... :)

He says, RUN! Run Fast! :lol2

Wouldn't even sign off on clear film... :lol2 said even clear will elevate absorption. :)

But when I said it was the South of Spain, he did offere to come have a lokk all his own. :)

Guest Solscreen

I am on holiday this week, but I have told the shop that I will take some UV readings to see if its got a filter, therefore its heat and light fading, I may suggest some of my blinds that are now in roller 4.5 metres wide by 4.5 drop, (15ft).

I really dont fancy this one they just want the smaller shop at this stage done.

Thanks for the input.

Mike :)

Guest Solscreen

Yep, no UV coming through , so heat and lights the problem.

Tried some back rolling this week, external film, to some large windows, 3.5 metres high with another 2 metres on top of that pane, width is 1.2 metres, I used the plastic core from an old roll, it worked a treat, pretty pleased with the result, best I have done for external fit, and with huge windows as well.

I cant finnish of until two panes have been replaced, :lol2 they had put brown p?per over the glass on the inside :lol2 , still its only over ten grand to replace the glass, triple laminate, hence external fitting.

Archived