Newbie tinting questions...

Guest Quake120

Guest Quake120

Just had some questions about tinting...

I've tinted the windows on my Integra twice myself using Gila (don't laugh! ) film with okay results. I'm just curious to know if any of you professionals have used Gila and then used the film that your shop uses.

Is the application easier with the pro tint or is it about the same? Making a pattern, removing the liner from the tint, placing it on the windows and making sure it is past the gaskets on roll down windows is not difficult, but it just seems like the film will not sit right. No matter what I do, I end up with small bubbles around the edges. This window I'm tinting does have a compound curve, but I managed to get the finger bubbles out of the window.

What do you use as the tint appliction liquid?

I'd like to get better at it, since a lot of my friends want their windows tinted but don't want to take it to a shop. Anyways, any suggestions you have would be great. Do you know if most shops will sell their rolls of tint?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Quake120
Just had some questions about tinting...

I've tinted the windows on my Integra twice myself using Gila (don't laugh! ) film with okay results. I'm just curious to know if any of you professionals have used Gila and then used the film that your shop uses.

Is the application easier with the pro tint or is it about the same? Making a pattern, removing the liner from the tint, placing it on the windows and making sure it is past the gaskets on roll down windows is not difficult, but it just seems like the film will not sit right. No matter what I do, I end up with small bubbles around the edges. This window I'm tinting does have a compound curve, but I managed to get the finger bubbles out of the window.

What do you use as the tint appliction liquid?

I'd like to get better at it, since a lot of my friends want their windows tinted but don't want to take it to a shop. Anyways, any suggestions you have would be great. Do you know if most shops will sell their rolls of tint?

[*]313304

In fact, message me at AOL Quake120 or MSN: Quakework120@gmail.com

The small bubbles around the edges are probably due to dirt trapped under the film, it takes practice not to get contamination.

Most people use baby shampoo or joy detergent (not recommended) and water.

Most shops will not sell you a roll of film.

I've never used Gila, so I can't comment on that.

[*]313313

TD, whats the scoop on the Joy?

I searched a while, to find any pros and cons.

so.......I'll ask the Boss

Z

Guest tinterjim

[*]313313

TD, whats the scoop on the Joy?

I searched a while, to find any pros and cons.

so.......I'll ask the Boss

Z

[*]313319

I'll step in for TD here.(if I may) :evilgrin The detergents in the Joy are harmfull to the longevity of the adhesive. It will lead to premature failure. :devilangel

I did a favor a few weeks ago for a friend.

Someone had gotten him a few rolls of gila for christmas and he wanted me to put them on. I told him it the downsides of it and he didn't care. I said just don't tell anyone I tinted it when it turns purple.

Long story short, I was putting it onto a truck and struggling. The stuff didn't want to lay flat. It was super thin. I got fingers everywhere and shrinking them out was no fun.

It took me twice as long to do his truck as it should have. Eventually I gave up, threw his stuff in the trash, and did the front doors with my own to save time and headache.

New rule....No I will not tint your car if you bring me the tint.

Guest Quake120
I did a favor a few weeks ago for a friend.

Someone had gotten him a few rolls of gila for christmas and he wanted me to put them on.  I told him it the downsides of it and he didn't care.  I said just don't tell anyone I tinted it when it turns purple.

Long story short, I was putting it onto a truck and struggling.  The stuff didn't want to lay flat.  It was super thin.  I got fingers everywhere and shrinking them out was no fun.

It took me twice as long to do his truck as it should have.  Eventually I gave up, threw his stuff in the trash, and did the front doors with my own to save time and headache.

New rule....No I will not tint your car if you bring me the tint.

[*]313332

Sounds like the problems I have with it and I'm not a pro tinter so I don't know how to get myself out of the situations as easily. I haven't had terrible results with it, but it is obviously a DIY job and not a pro tint shop job. Maybe I'll try to find a roll of pro tint on eBay and try it out. Is pro tint the same as Gila with the clear liner? Same method of application with soapy water?

Archived