Newbie tinting questions...

Guest Quake120

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you and your buddies are gonna spend as much as taking it to a shop, in the long run.

just take em to a shop.

[*]313564

:bat

What your really saying is I want a good looking tint job, but I don't want to pay any of you guys to tint it for me and my "buddys". Just please tell me how to do it :bat

Guest Quake120

"you and your buddies are gonna spend as much as taking it to a shop, in the long run.

just take em to a shop."

No, I think not. Tint shops in my area charge $200 for a 4 door car. I can buy 16 rolls of Gila (yes I know it is crap) for that much money that will cover 2 side windows each...1 roll will cover 2 side windows... That's 16 side windows or 4 4 door cars or 8 2 door cars.

I understand that yes... pro shops will do a far superior job than I possibly can, but you have to start somewhere. Whats to say that doing this for my car and my friends cars wouldn't lead to me working at a pro tint shop or starting my own? You guys started somewhere to learn the trade... this could just be my starting point.

Anyways... enough of that.

What are some pro tint brands that might be available publicly.

Thanks for all of your help.

"you and your buddies are gonna spend as much as taking it to a shop, in the long run.

just take em to a shop."

No, I think not. Tint shops in my area charge $200 for a 4 door car. I can buy 16 rolls of Gila (yes I know it is crap) for that much money that will cover 2 side windows each...1 roll will cover 2 side windows... That's 16 side windows or 4 4 door cars or 8 2 door cars.

I understand that yes... pro shops will do a far superior job than I possibly can, but you have to start somewhere. Whats to say that doing this for my car and my friends cars wouldn't lead to me working at a pro tint shop or starting my own? You guys started somewhere to learn the trade... this could just be my starting point.

[*]313601

OH SURE, TINTING IS EASY!!!!!!!!!

another HAACK in the making guys....some people are amazing,

for $200 you'll get a great looking decent job without being gila :bat

[*]313601

so you're not going to do the back window?

I totally don't understand this. it's a paradox. DIY people skip the back window all the time because it's hard. then you have all these goofy looking tint jobs with just the side windows done driving around. then people come into /my/ shop and say they just want the sides done. they've seen so many cars driving around with just the side windows done, they think this is normal.

:bat

or worse... they'll buy the 5% and just do the sides and opt not to do the back window because (suprise!) they can't see!

Fours rolls of Gila: $80

Squeege and carbon razor blade kit: $5

Water bottle: $4

Baby shampoo: $2

Another roll of Gila because you screwed up a window: $20

Total: $111

Tinting your own car with a 7 piece back window, dirt everywhere, and it will be as purple as Prince in 6 months: Priceless

As a n00b that started out just you're talking about....a little bit of advice. If you're going to go ahead with this, go all out.

It started out simply enough. I'd tint my $500 car because I wasn't going to pay $150 to have three windows tinted. Then I did a few friends. Then I had to buy more tools. Then I bought a roll of film. Eventually it snowballed to the point that I HAD to tint to make my money back on it.

A few years later it's still at that point. Last year I came up about 2 cars short of breaking even. This year I'm just barely past even (but boy am I stocked up on 5 different brands of tint....).

You guys started somewhere to learn the trade... this could just be my starting point.

[*]313601

Yep... started with buying film from a tint shop... they sold film across the counter back then. Eventually, that is, within a couple of weeks of tinting cars at 5-6 hours each, I was putting out 3 hour tint jobs. But I am a natural... are you?

Only way to find out is to burn some money giving it a go.

Solar Gard, Suntek, Johnson, if I am not mistaken, will sell you film... may need a biz license, biz bank account or both. All these are moderately priced.

Guest Diamond Tints
you and your buddies are gonna spend as much as taking it to a shop, in the long run.

just take em to a shop.

[*]313564

:thumb

What your really saying is I want a good looking tint job, but I don't want to pay any of you guys to tint it for me and my "buddys". Just please tell me how to do it :music

[*]313578

:dunno:hmmm:lol

Archived