clear glue

I like the clear glue over the blue elmers. I have used both, and the only reason I am purchasing the clear stuff over the blue is due to my application technique. The clear stuff has a larger opening at the top of the bottle that fits my oral syringe.

For application, I insert an oral syringe (available at any pharmacy) into the top of the glue bottle, suck out about 5 ml of the glue into the syringe. I pull the film down to the base of the dots, and lay a nice even line of glue at the bottom line of dots. I then push the film back up and take a hard card covered with a paper towel and starting from the center and working toward both edges, push air and excess glue upward. The paper towel catches the excess glue on each stroke, and I index the towel around the card as to not get glue on the film.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the clear glue over the blue elmers.  I have used both, and the only reason I am purchasing the clear stuff over the blue is due to my application technique.  The clear stuff has a larger opening at the top of the bottle that fits my oral syringe.

For application, I insert an oral syringe (available at any pharmacy) into the top of the glue bottle, suck out about 5 ml of the glue into the syringe.  I pull the film down to the base of the dots, and lay a nice even line of glue at the bottom line of dots.  I then push the film back up and take a hard card covered with a paper towel and starting from the center and working toward both edges, push air and excess glue upward.  The paper towel catches the excess glue on each stroke, and I index the towel around the card as to not get glue on the film.

[*]331280

I am going to try the oral method...syringe that is :gasp

that would be easier than fighting the little nozzle

cool tip E Oh !!!

:gasp

E I E I Oh

Thanks. It is something I tried for the same reason... I didn't like to fight with the glue nozzle, and when the glue started getting low, it was even worse to get an even line of glue. I think you will like it.

I initially went out and bought three of the syringes, thinking that I would damamge them, or need extras. If you wash it out with fresh water each time, one will go a long way. I think I am still using the original one I purchased two years ago. I also fill the thing with water during storage. That will keep any remnants of the water-based glue soft.

Exact Oh , I'm not a gluer , however I'm going to try this out .

I don't know if it'll convert me off the vinyl or not but if it's proven the test of time for you then I'm sure it works great :lol6

Psssst. :thumb might I sugest going for a TOTW with the:

"Sure To Stick Syringe System" :beer

Thanks to all of you! I did post this as a TOTW, last year I think. Someone mentioned the use of a turkey baster in that thread. IMO, that would be way too big... you only need about 5 ml on an average car.

The syringe method is working well for you TTC? Glad to hear it! TW, I used to do a lot of vinyl also, but the glue has taken a lot of time out, and added quality to my installs. I squeezed it right out of the tube for awhile, until the syringe idea came to me... it really simplifies the whole process. Though, I still have to lightly sand some of the shinier cars, like the Mustang, before application.

Guest MidcoastMW

what would you do for a BIG area of matrix??? Like at the top of a back glass where it hangs down 5".....

..I can see a small bead being enough for a 1/4" strip of dotz.... but whats the technique for the nasty areas?

what would you do for a BIG area of matrix???  Like at the top of a back glass where it hangs down 5".....

..I can see a small bead being enough for a 1/4" strip of dotz....  but whats the technique for the nasty areas?

[*]332041

the same trick

heres a long matrix on an Eclipse

ecl2.jpg

Archived