Ontario tint laws?

Guest tdidarryl

Guest tdidarryl

I live in Ontario and am planning on tinting my windows in the near future. I understand that 35% is the max (legal) for the front but where does it say this? The OHTA (link below) only says that:

"No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway."

That seems open to interpretation!

I commute on highway 400, has anyone had any experience with the OPP and dark tint? My car has black leather seats and I'm tired of burning my a$$ after work each day so I don't think 35% is dark enough.

Tintwizard, any ideas?

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Guest metint

Tint or no tint, you may still burn your a$$ at the end of the day (or get burned for illegal film). Film is not a cure all on a poorly insulated vehicle.

Ontario's law is vague on front doors and, yes, open to interpretation by anyone including the law officer that has just had a bad day.

Keep it legal, keep it safe... :lol6

Guest tdidarryl

metint4u2, thanks for the reply.

I don't think insulation is much of a factor the car is fairly new, the car sits in the sun and the interior bakes all day that's why the seats are hot.

You said to keep it legal and keep it safe, my question is 'what is legal?'

Can any ontario tinters share some of their or their customers' experiences with the police? Do they have any equipment to measure tint darkness? Has anyone taken a ticket to court?

Ontario law further states:

Colour coating obscuring interior

(3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver's seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (3).

Windows to afford clear view

74. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) unless the windshield and the windows on either side of the compartment containing the steering wheel are in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the front and side of the motor vehicle; and

(b) unless the rear window is in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the rear of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (1).

Application of cl. (1) (b)

(2) Clause (1) (b) does not apply to a motor vehicle that is equipped with a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the motor vehicle and placed in such a position and maintained in such a condition as to afford the driver, otherwise than through the rear window, a clearly-reflected view of the roadway in the rear or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (2).

Thanks,

Okay ..here's the short version to answer your question...In all that stuff you just typed are the words "subtantially obscures" what that does is leaves it up to the officer in any case no matter what shade you have on, however in the 20 yrs I've been tinting in Ont. only 2 people that I know of ever got charged with the 35 % on the 2 fronts. rainy day, dark out, cop in bad mood, whatever..stick with 35 % you'll be OK ..I tint a lot of cops personal cars and thier undercover cars they all tell me the same thing they say " if we can make out if your a man or a woman, see if you have on a seatbelt and can see your not drinking behind the tint, we're happy" I found most cops pretty cool about 35 % in Ont. hope this helps :thumb

Guest RCOOTE

4 yrs ago I got a ticket for 20% all around on my jetta on the QEW Appleby cutoff burlington. I wish I knew then what I know now... I could have got off if I fought it.

The main problem was the visor made it look darker.... WWWWWHAAAA!!!!!

I live and tint in Ontario 35% is the best bet. I stick behind it and that is final, and yes the law is very vague but not all customers know that. I also tint Quebec registered cars as well and their law is very strict 35% would be considered illagal in that province. I suggest 70% to the Quebec customers but they say it's to light. It's a tough business here when other shops are willing to put 35 or darker on Quebec cars. :beer By the way I live and work in Ottawa, Ontario(Canada) which is right on the border (stones throw) to the province of Quebec.

Archived