What percentage of sides do you shrink?????

Guest redgtxdi

I shrink all of 'em, even the old flat roll-ups

they just stick better, and hardly any fingers ............ever

and I don't chase the fingers up the window while shrinking

It keeps the film pulled tight at the bottom when installing

....so 100%  :cold

[*]332907

Ditto.

Guest redgtxdi

[*]333061

I don't get what you're saying here. So you force & isolate fingers solely toward the bottom????

What about gaskets. Do you pull the perimeter gaskets out???

(I noticed on my little Prizm today, the Texas tinter looks like they pulled the gaskets......and quite frankly, I don't know how they'd have ever done 'em if they didn't 'cuz the gaskets *roll* around and nearly PINCH the glass. There's almost no way you'd get film to stick up there. Roll it up & you'd hear the sound of crunching film for sure!! Anyway.......when I retint the rest of these windows, looks like I'm pullin' panels AND gaskets, just to reach the edges of this freakin' glass!)

Guest tint rookie

[*]333061

I don't get what you're saying here. So you force & isolate toward the bottom????

What about gaskets. Do you pull the perimeter gaskets out???

(I noticed on my little Prizm today, the Texas tinter looks like they pulled the gaskets......and quite frankly, I don't know how they'd have ever done 'em if they didn't 'cuz the gaskets *roll* around and nearly PINCH the glass. There's almost no way you'd get film to stick up there. Roll it up & you'd hear the sound of crunching film for sure!! Anyway.......when I retint the rest of these windows, looks like I'm pullin' panels AND gaskets, just to reach the edges of this freakin' glass!)

[*]333140

heat upper edge real good before rolling up...

Guest redgtxdi

[*]333144

To be honest........I don't even think that would work!! I grabbed a piece of glossy paper just to see if it would slid up there.......NOPE!!! The gasket's also left a nice little line of skidmark from the years of sittin' there.

***IF*** the original installer did heat it up before rolling it up, he must've damn year melted the sheot, just to get it to stay 'cuz I can just heeeeear the sweet sound of crunching film in my head thinkin' about how he/she even DARED try it w/o pullin' the gaskets. :cold

[*]333144

To be honest........I don't even think that would work!! I grabbed a piece of glossy paper just to see if it would slid up there.......NOPE!!! The gasket's also left a nice little line of skidmark from the years of sittin' there.

***IF*** the original installer did heat it up before rolling it up, he must've damn year melted the sheot, just to get it to stay 'cuz I can just heeeeear the sweet sound of crunching film in my head thinkin' about how he/she even DARED try it w/o pullin' the gaskets. :cold

[*]333151

If they are so tight that heatin the shizz out of the top edge is not enough

I spray some dry silicone on the gasket before rolling it up,

and push out on the glass a little while rolling up

Guest redgtxdi
If it's got mega fingers ( vette, 3000 GT, bug), I'll shrink it. Just about everything else, I take the panels off and apply as one piece and very rarely have fingers. As far as the prism, it's not as tight as you think...

[*]333156

Ya sure??

What year am I talkin' about! (& if you know, then you know what year range I'm talkin' about)

:cold

And as for anything *but* the few you mentioned......I'm gonna guess that you *do* get fingers, but you just fight 'em on out......so how do you fight 'em out after the fact???

Archived