What percentage of sides do you shrink?????

Guest redgtxdi

Guest redgtxdi

Was curious how many sides get shrunk these days. After the late 80's cars started rounding at the top causing compound radius..........(early 90's Honda Civic were a behotch IIRC with their huge & curved side roll ups on the coupes & hatches).........and shrinking became mandatory.

Now, cars are starting to square up a bit more.......(at least in the cabin).........but perhaps it's just easier to shrink 'em regardless to save time on the back end fightin' fingers....??

And, also.......I actually used to just use my drop light to warm up the tops before workin' on the bottom of a rollup. Do folks use the heatgun on low...(or a ways back)......to dry up the tops??

And, lastly.........any shrinking after the film's applied??? And, if so....(I'm assuming, yes where necessary)......how close have ya' come to boilin' interior pieces??? LOL......(well, not funny really, but....ya know).

:hmmm:lol:hmmm

I did a 2005 Pontiac GTO last week and had to shrink the side windows just a little bit cause I kept getting fingers that just would not go away.

[*]332888

We build that downunder Kemble. :hmmm

How do you like the rear screen? Bit tight at the bottom hey? Did you install in one or 2? Big sheet for 1.

Devil

I shrink all of 'em, even the old flat roll-ups

they just stick better, and hardly any fingers ............ever

and I don't chase the fingers up the window while shrinking

It keeps the film pulled tight at the bottom when installing

....so 100% :hmmm

Guest Sprinter
I shrink all of 'em, even the old flat roll-ups

they just stick better, and hardly any fingers ............ever

and I don't chase the fingers up the window while shrinking

It keeps the film pulled tight at the bottom when installing

....so 100%  :hmmm

[*]332907

takes less than a minute to shrink them all out, but takes alot more time when chasing or going back over the glass to fight a finger here or there because you did'nt have that minute to spare because you were trying to save some time. :hmmm

Guest redgtxdi

Wow..........that's pretty insightful!!!

I didn't expect to see so much variance.

First time I ever saw a guy shrink *any* film was on a roll up. He had pulled the glass competely out of the door & had a special vise that held the glass.

He had the tint cut to go waaaay down below the sash & forced the fingers down there, then shriveled the heck out of 'em & ran over 'em hard w/ a card. (Definitely creased, but a couple inches below the sash, so I guess it'd never matter).

Anyway, it wasn't 'til later that I found people not "seaming" back glass's anymore ***and*** (most important to me).....I found that the shrinking more popularly occured *outside* before the liner's stripped. (This was a pretty big shock to me after being introduced to film being shrunk *inside* after the liner was removed).

Still, I think I'd be freakin' scared to melt somebody's sash............or maybe y'all only shrink inside *if* the panel's removed???

Archived