Anyone still seam the B/G?

Guest MidcoastMW

film manus probably prefer seamed back glass's because of less stress on the film :inot

[*]334578

True... Not for the new silver based films... aka AVS 60, Hilite, VKool, etc. Opens the seam up to corrosion, unless sealed.

However, one manu is more concerned about the amount of heat the film is subjected to... high temps during heat forming does the dyes, the pigments, the metals, and the UV absorbers wrong.

Those films not produced with weatherable poly (UV in the poly) and have the UV package only in the adhesive are more prone to premature failure from heating. Take the example TTS spoke of just before SEMA, for instance.

PS adhesive is as finicky as most tinters... in that it does not like anything disrupting its environment... UV absorbers in the adhesive does just that, so the result is they (UV abs) go away quickly... hence the film dies a quicker death.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you guys talking about?? Cutting the seams on the outside?? And you can't see them?? Whatever. Like Nautiboi said, overlap on the INSIDE and cut along the defroster, if you cut right down the middle you won't see the line at all. Use alot of water, and maybe add more slip. The only time I do a 2-piece is when I crease it or rip it, then I'll do an impromptu "mission impossible" hidden seam.

What are you guys talking about?? Cutting the seams on the outside?? And you can't see them?? 

[*]334613

I've always said that it takes a McGyver type to be a master at tinting...

Bringing a little light on the subject of seaming on the outside... pardon the pun... it takes a true master to cut a seam on the outside of a new style Vette or the Camaro back glass and have it fall precisely where it needs to be on the defroster once the film gets installed to the inside.... and also, not cut the glass while severing four layers of material rather than the two, when cutting a seam on the inside.

No one way is the right way to do things... it's just another way! :inot

Guest darkdan

One of the tinters in one of my neighboring cities ALWAYS does back windows in 3 to 7 pieces.

Want to hear the sad part? Old school style NOT across a defroster line.

And can you believe he charges more then I do? I need better advertisement.

Guest MidcoastMW

^^lol

Does anyone know if those plastic razor-blades will harm the defroster lines? Cuz like I said, I want to try cutting on the inside, directly on top of the defrosterline.

Guest MidcoastMW
The plastic "toy" blades have limited use, seaming is not one of them.

[*]334682

Damn.......so Im wasting my time if I try it? I guess I'll just try the trusty Olfa just below the line.

Archived