Anyone still seam the B/G?

Guest MidcoastMW

Guest MidcoastMW

Since Im new to the tinting trade, I have alot of trouble shrinking back glass in one peice. It's easier for me to do 2-3 strips and butt-seam at a defroster line. I use the overlap method, and cut thru both sheets..following the defroster line.

When its all done, you can still see my seams from the outside if you look hard enough.

Im thinking I would get better results if I installed the strips with the overlap, and then cut them on the inside using one of those plastic razor blades.

Is that safe?? Whats the cleanest way to seam a back glass install??

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nautiboi73

u can cut the film on the inside after the overlap with an regular OFla, Just don't cross over the defroster line while cutting. and try to cut on the bottom of teh defroster so that the seam will not be noticable from the rearview mirror. :whisper

oh and for the recod, I one piece everything that comes through my shop. Have not had to two piece in like 3 years

Since Im new to the tinting trade, I have alot of trouble shrinking back glass in one peice.  It's easier for me to do 2-3 strips and butt-seam at a defroster line.  I use the overlap method, and cut thru both sheets..following the defroster line.

When its all done, you can still see my seams from the outside if you look hard enough.

Im thinking I would get better results if I installed the strips with the overlap, and then cut them on the inside using one of those plastic razor blades.

Is that safe??  Whats the cleanest way to seam a back glass install??

[*]334452

Inside, most would say... :whisper

I've only seamed back glass, defrost line invisi-seam from the outside.... :trustme

I agree 100%. But how can I get the cleanest results from a seam install??

[*]334562

Well ever try getting out a bug, hair or a pit of contamination from the centre of a really huge curved rear screen?

Do the same on your ear easily with a seamed rear.

OB has it right.

Devil

I seam when I need to to make the job simple and straight forward.

As a result, I only cut on the outside and can never see the splice. Certainly the customer never knows it has one or two unless he/she is watching.

Dev

[*]334514

And of course, I thought I was the only one cutting seams on the outside before the install...

Props to ya Dev, you would agree that it is truly an art (and science) to do it this way without being noticed. :DD :inot

Archived