Anyone still seam the B/G?

Guest MidcoastMW

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do computer cut installers handle seams, if ever done.

Also, if the window is extremely curvy how does the computer cut film allow an exact cut that can also be trimmed to remove the curled/fried outter edge?

Not dissing just never used a pre-cut pattern.

[*]334718

our main location uses computercut patterns all day long everyday. the patterns fit great on the bgs. proper placement of the pattern and shrink away. always a proper fit after shrinking :whisper they don't seam any windows so the issue of computer cut patterns and seaming doesn't come up.

Guest sunbuster
I seam when I need to to make the job simple and straight forward.

As a result, I only cut on the outside and can never see the splice. Certainly the customer never knows it has one or two unless he/she is watching.

Dev

[*]334514

And of course, I thought I was the only one cutting seams on the outside before the install...

Props to ya Dev, you would agree that it is truly an art (and science) to do it this way without being noticed. :gasp:whisper

[*]334574

Seams are the easy way out. You can do the one piecers perfectly. You can do it. Practice , Practice, Practice. Clean back glass, Put baby powder in hand. Spread over back window. Not too much. Lay film on back window. With a wet towel make a cross through the middle of the window (top to bottom and side to side). Put your hand spread open in the middle and pull it towards you. use a grey card and press the film one pass behind your hand. Repeat on the other side. Then from the middle up and middle down. Trim the film along the side. Leave plenty of film to pull while shrinking. You can cut it down later. Also cut it along the bottom. Leave some excess. You can leave the top long for now, you can use the film to pull while shrinking. On the sides run your towel, and swipe with the grey card, making sure the sides are smooth and against the glass. You should now have 4 quarters. With the heat gun, start from middle of window. Work across one quarter at a time. Across then down a couple of inches, then across again, then down a couple of inches. Repeat until you get to the bottom of the film. MOVE YOUR HEAT GUN ALOT. I FIND LITTLE CIRCLES HELP KEEP A CONSISTENT HEAT PATTERN. Repeat this step in the next quater. You can smooth the film with your grey card to see how you are doing. USE MINIMAL PRESSURE TO AVOID CREASING THE FILM. With practice, you can shrink just about any window with this technique. On reverse curves however you need to use the traditional wet shrink method. Certain windows require both techniques for one piece application. What a great selling aid. . . . . One piece back windows. Pratice, Practice, Practice, and PATIENCE!!!!

Guest sunbuster
How do computer cut installers handle seams, if ever done.

Also, if the window is extremely curvy how does the computer cut film allow an exact cut that can also be trimmed to remove the curled/fried outter edge?

Not dissing just never used a pre-cut pattern.

[*]334718

We use a plotter for the sides only -and handcut all back glass for that reason!

[*]334859

I second that. You really need the extra material for shrinking.

As a result, I only cut on the outside and can never see the splice. Certainly the customer never knows it has one or two unless he/she is watching.

Dev

[*]334514

And of course, I thought I was the only one cutting seams on the outside before the install...

Props to ya Dev, you would agree that it is truly an art (and science) to do it this way without being noticed. :gasp:whisper

[*]334574

Seams are the easy way out. You can do the one piecers perfectly. You can do it. Practice , Practice, Practice. Clean back glass, Put baby powder in hand. Spread over back window. Not too much. Lay film on back window. With a wet towel make a cross through the middle of the window (top to bottom and side to side). Put your hand spread open in the middle and pull it towards you. use a grey card and press the film one pass behind your hand. Repeat on the other side. Then from the middle up and middle down. Trim the film along the side. Leave plenty of film to pull while shrinking. You can cut it down later. Also cut it along the bottom. Leave some excess. You can leave the top long for now, you can use the film to pull while shrinking. On the sides run your towel, and swipe with the grey card, making sure the sides are smooth and against the glass. You should now have 4 quarters. With the heat gun, start from middle of window. Work across one quarter at a time. Across then down a couple of inches, then across again, then down a couple of inches. Repeat until you get to the bottom of the film. MOVE YOUR HEAT GUN ALOT. I FIND LITTLE CIRCLES HELP KEEP A CONSISTENT HEAT PATTERN. Repeat this step in the next quater. You can smooth the film with your grey card to see how you are doing. USE MINIMAL PRESSURE TO AVOID CREASING THE FILM. With practice, you can shrink just about any window with this technique. On reverse curves however you need to use the traditional wet shrink method. Certain windows require both techniques for one piece application. What a great selling aid. . . . . One piece back windows. Pratice, Practice, Practice, and PATIENCE!!!!

[*]334961

Read or hear this Dev... man's trying to splain to you and me the nature, the benefits and how to of heat forming back glass. :gasp

Great write up... :music

Guest tintgod

Dev

[*]334514

Props to ya Dev, you would agree that it is truly an art (and science) to do it this way without being noticed. :gasp:gasp

[*]334574

[*]334961

you think you can make a video on how you do that...I dont understand :whisper:music

depending on what type of film you use,

when piecing or slicing in two three four pieces

you need to be sure or control how you unroll the film, cause if your not careful, upon finishing, the window film in each row can appear different.....

Archived