Health Insurance for small business owners - help!

Long story short, I had my hip replaced 2.5 years ago and it is still giving me problems, but it's a ton better then pre-op.

Only thing now that I'm on my own business wise, I no longer have health insurance... but I am going thru my goals for 2006 and I really wanna factor that into my figures... Only thing, I know alot of the big name companies do not offer individual policies..

So, who do you use?? I don't have any employees... it's just myself.

On the flip side, anyone have a spare hip I can bum off ya?!? :lol6:lol2

RoAcH

Blue cross and blue shield do offer insurance-but having a pre existing condition its gonna be high. They will put you in the high risk pool-I stopped paying it last year when it reached $1500 per month! :lol2 your best bet is to get catastrophic insurance-it doesnt cover doctors visits or prescriptions -but it will pay in case of a major event-heart attack etc. :lol6

Guest FastEddy

It will be an issue getting affordable coverage with your history.

You can try to get on with group coverages such as the SBA, Local Chamber, AARP if your an old fart, and so on.

So what if you have to pay a yearly fee to belong to the group if its offsets you insurance.

If there are family members that need insurance you can get a business group that will will be less for you then going solo.

Research, research, research.......

AARP if your an old fart, and so on.

[*]354171

:evilgrin I'm not even half way to being old enough to join AARP! :lol I just happen have had gotten a bum hip when they were passing them out. :hmmm

I checked a couple places.. I'll look around more tomorrow. They seem to have a clause for pre-existing - any place from 6 months to a year wait before. May 25th was the last time I was seen.. so I probably will try and tough it out until then before going to see him. (As long as nothing major comes up... so skiiing will be out this season.)

if you are generally healthy, I agree with scott regarding the catastrophic plan.  when you work the figures of an 80/20 plan vs a catastrophic plan

[*]354365

I'm generally healthy, except for my hip, which if it's giving me problems now at 2.5 years post-op, I can only guess how the next few years are going to go. :(

I can handle xrays and office visits, but if I need something major, there's no way I can afford it and it would probably put me under financially...

I'll check out those other two you mentioned and see what they offer..

Ugh..

Archived