Paint protection film

Guest sa tinter

Guest sa tinter

Been doing the tinting thing and still learning a lot - but have to broaden my scope of work and

thus bought a plotter / cutter and some paint protection film ( venture shield ) for autos as used in Nascar and other racing. :krazy

Been praticing and experimenting with off cuts though :dunno

Getting a few 940 KTM Adventure bikes - two weeks time. Any tips or tricks from the old hands on the application of the templates on these bikes and other autos- especially when it comes to preparation of the surfaces and managing the curves and edges.

Know this is mostly a tinting forum - but I am sure a lot of you are blades of many trades!! :krazy

not a lot of talk about PPF is happining arround here, to many upper classmen got bent out o shape, and TD and the mods were devoting to much time to putting out fires.....

.....but.....

as far as installing ppf I have found that unless its a grill or a sectional bumper, I prefer to use roll stock and just cut it on the car or bike.

when using ventshure make sure you tell the customer to keep it waxed, or else it has a tendency to get a silver haze to it, if that happens you can use a cleaner and buff it out, then wax over it.

also on some harder curves, a steamer come in real handy

Like tigerstripe said abouty PPF..don't hold your breath on a forum devoted to it..it 's was tried and that 1 forum took more work to moderate than all the other ones combined ..the threads just took on a "feel" unlike the rest of the forums on here..and after many attempts and warnings at keeping them cleaned up to such a point of no liability issues to haunt TD..they were pulled due to a few wrecking it for the many.

I'm sure you'll still find some regular members who will happily discuss PPF with you though :krazy

Guest sa tinter
not a lot of talk about PPF is happining arround here,  to many upper classmen got bent out o shape, and TD and the mods were devoting to much time to putting out fires.....

.....but.....

as far as installing ppf I have found that unless its a grill or a sectional bumper,  I prefer to use roll stock and just cut it on the car or bike.

when using ventshure make sure you tell the customer to keep it waxed, or else it has a tendency to get a silver haze to it,  if that happens you can use a cleaner and buff it out, then wax over it.

also on some harder curves, a steamer come in real handy

[*]357029

Thanx a lot - will surely use this advice. Also heard that a white painted auto is quite difficult to

keep clean on the edges.

Thanx a lot - will surely use this advice. Also heard that a white painted auto is quite difficult to

keep clean on the edges.

[*]357041

any light color car will show dirt arround the corner, just tell them to use rubbing alchoal, and a q-tip on the edges :krazy

paint protection papa slanga here :dunno alcohol solution prep and computer cut patterns from bekaert for me. :krazy white and black paint are the 2 worst colors for PPF installs IMO. but still do 'em all the time. :krazy

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

I've never done any ppf so far, but I'd like to start trying to market it. I got alot of high end cars in my area and there is only one other quality tint shop within 5 miles. Most are on the other side of town.

I've never done any ppf so far, but I'd like to start trying to market it. I got alot of high end cars in my area and there is only one other quality tint shop within 5 miles.  Most are on the other side of town.

[*]357059

it goes on the outside! :DD

its alot of fun especially as a destraction from tint.

but like tint have patience and plan to scrap a few kits before getting it down.

I did quite a few bikes over the summer, none of them had computer patterns available, so I had to do em the ol fashined way. Most tanks can be wraped up in 2-3 pieces and maby a few relief cuts.

I'll usually start by laying a large piece over the top, squeege/ anchor the top portion into place then stretch it and bring as much slack into two large fingers on the sides and make my relief cuts and cut any other edges off. Then Ill seam in the rest. I'll try to follow the contours when making my relief cuts and seams- looks a little more professional, not that you can really notice it unless your looking for it tho.

Bikes can be a real pain in the a55 ...... good luck!

Archived