Just did a strip and tint on a car with

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my feeling...

Window Tint pricing ought to be higher than it is by 50 to 100% in most markets.

The argument that any given company makes a profit is irrelevant unless the employees' incomes are taken into consideration. I would not be surprised to learn that many window tinters who work for someone else make less money than many of the "overpriced" independents.

Since window tinting is not a major economic force in the economy, and since it is a very speciallized craft, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason a highly skilled window tinter's income should be limited to, say, that of a highly paid factory worker, which might be around $40 to 60K/yr.

The issue is very complicated to say the least, but as far as I'm concerned we should ALL want to make more money than we do currently.

What would happen if we did? We could afford to market our product more fully, leading to increased consumer education, appreciation, and demand, for starters.

Just a few thoughts. :passout

Rip off the customers? What? The only possible way I could see a tinter ripping a customer off is if the customer receives a poor install and paid a decent rate for the job.

If I could get 2 grand for a honda civic, I'd charge that much or more everytime and I'd sleep great every night. If the customer is happy, who cares if just 15 or 20 installs puts one of our kids through college for a year.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If they won't give you more than 89 bucks, then that's what it's worth, but if they will give you hundreds apon hundreds of dollars, then that's what it's worth. But only YOU can create the image of your shop and quality of work and bring the price up.

there is ABSOLUTELY no reason a highly skilled window tinter's income should be limited to, say, that of a highly paid factory worker, which might be around $40 to 60K/yr.

[*]357479

That is actually a bit debateable, since most factory workers are probably making 2x what they are worth in the workforce and can easily be replaced by a 6 year old chinese girl. In an area with as low of a standard of living, my tinter make enough to, if they wanted, buy a decent house, drive a decent car, and have a nice life, of course it's all what you make of it. My tinters make almost as much as me per week, only difference is they are hourly and I am salary, so I put in about 15 or so more hours a week, so theoretically, I probably make less.

///man,

1) If your tinters make as much as you, then I'd say that's fair within your organization.

2) I think it's offensive to say that "most factory workers are probably making 2x what they are worth in the workforce and can easily be replaced by a 6 year old chinese girl." I hope you know that having 6 year old children working in factories is a disgrace. It's also a disgrace for multi-million dollar companies to not pay people well.

My point, however, is not that as long as the tinter makes as much as the boss, everything's okay. My point is that Owner's income, worker's incomes, and profit are ALL part of the equation, and that none of these should be determined by arbitrary, or even long-standing limits.

When you look at the trends of any industry, change is often affected by perception (why else would Microsoft Windows be the dominant operating system), and the prices for window tinting haven't changed much in the last 10 years, most likely due to the fact that everyone is afraid to raise prices. Meanwhile, the price of film keeps going up, the price of gasoline keeps going up, and the prices of the cars we tint keeps going up.

I thought it was interesting to see that according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the AVERAGE HOURLY EARNINGS OF PRODUCTION WORKERS in the Transportation, warehousing, and utilities industries went from $11.64 in 1995 to $16.00+ in 2005. That's nearly a 37 percent increase in a decade! I doubt very many people have raised window tint prices 37% in the last decade. If you had a price of $....00 in 1995, your price would now be $....50, and $....00+ 10 years from now following that example.

I'm probably banging my head against a wall anyway, but I just thought I'd offer more food for thought.

Archived