Issue with CRLawerence Moleskin

Have been using the 'Moleskin' felt tape from CR Lawernce. Its a decent product dont get me wrong but is there anything better

I have had some cars come back with adhesive streaks up the glass because the felt came off in some spot. Not the end of the world but still a hassel

anyone use anything with a more aggresive adhesive?

Guest tintgod
Have been using the 'Moleskin' felt tape from CR Lawernce. Its a decent product dont get me wrong but is there? anything better

I have had some cars come back with adhesive streaks up the glass because the felt came off in some spot.? Not the end of the world but still a hassel

anyone use anything with a more aggresive adhesive?

[*]385788

I have post three or four time the stuff that I use..and nobody takes my advice..(except one other person on here that I know of)..so you are just going to have to seach for it.. :thumb

ps..I have neve had a come back with the stuff that I use :thumb

perhaps it's in the method of application? How do you prep it ..if you do that is?

[*]385792

First off you are right its the prep work that will insure a 100% bond. my quick method is to spray 3m adhesive remover, Prepsol or Afta on the fully removed gaskets. Wipe them down with a dry towel then peel the backing on the tape off heat lightly with my heat gun and then stick em on.

I have found that scuffing them up first seems to help but I dont always have the time

If I dont prep in some form the dont really stick at all

I was hoping to get something a little 'tackyer' (is that a word)

I have post three or four time the stuff that I use..and nobody takes my advice..(except one other person on here that I know of)..so you are just going to have to seach for it.. :thumb

ps..I have neve had a come back with the stuff that I use :thumb

[*]385798

I did see your post from the woodworkers site Thank You for that info

however we buy a case a month at least of the CRL stuff ( 6 case at a time) and your stuff wouldnt be cost evective its around 3X the price and they only show around 5-6 rolls in stock I just need more but I am going to order a roll to try out

Guest tintgod
perhaps it's in the method of application? How do you prep it ..if you do that is?

[*]385792

First off you are right its the prep work that will insure a 100% bond. my quick method is to spray 3m adhesive remover, Prepsol or Afta on the fully removed gaskets. Wipe them down with a dry towel then peel the backing on the tape off heat lightly with my heat gun and then stick em on.

I have found that scuffing them up first seems to help but I dont always have the time

If I dont prep in some form the dont really stick at all

I was hoping to get something a little 'tackyer' (is that a word)

I have post three or four time the stuff that I use..and nobody takes my advice..(except one other person on here that I know of)..so you are just going to have to seach for it.. :lol

ps..I have neve had a come back with the stuff that I use :barf

[*]385798

I did see your post from the woodworkers site Thank You for that info

however we buy a case a month at least of the CRL stuff ( 6 case at a time) and your stuff wouldnt be cost evective its around 3X the price and they only show around 5-6 rolls in stock I just need more but I am going to order a roll to try out

[*]385824

maybe that is your problem...try not using adhesive remover...that stuff will soak into the rubber gasket..and when it heats up will come to the surface...and that cant be good for the adhesive on the felt tape.. :barf ...this is just a wild guess :lol

there are many new vehicles out now (mustangs, dodge trucks, acuras, hondas, saabs, nissan trucks, etc.) that have hard plastic gaskets instead of felt covered gaskets. the plastic gaskets eventually scratch the hell out of the tint (and glass). putting felt on the gaskets takes care of the scratching problem.

Archived