No attatchment system for 3M security film?

Guest MoW

Guest vclimber
Just tried a tear test with some Ultra600 I have. It tears at least as hard as the 3M 4 mil.

Where is TG for the rebuttle on this one? :lol6

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pmuzik

Maybe these links will clear up some misinformation in this thread.

Accurate information is available for ALL the products of the various film manufacturers used by members of this forum. Please everyone !!! take the time to research the information before disputing it or posting innacurate statements. Wether you like or dislike a particular manufacturer for whatever the reason is certainly your choice but inaccurate or inflammatory comments about any brand can be harmfull to all of our livelyhoods and is definately harmful to this forum when they turn into pizzing contests . Just my 2 cents

there are 4 single layer safety films available from the big red machine. 6Mil does not apper to be among them. reference this link to their website

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...=AbcPageHandler.

Ultra 600 IS multi layered reference this link

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserv...s66SU7yCOrrrrQ-

we did a few AFRE offices too and the spec for us was single layer 8 Mil not 6 :lol6

Please everyone !!! take the time to research the information before disputing it or posting innacurate statements. Wether you like or dislike a particular manufacturer for whatever the reason is certainly your choice but inaccurate or inflammatory comments about any brand can be harmfull to all of our livelyhoods and is definately harmful to this forum when they turn into pizzing contests . Just my 2 cents

AMEN to that!

Guest Key West

Trying this again. Here is an Independent lab test of GlassGard 8 mil. I'm quite sure that every other mfgr will come out about the same in testing. TO MY KNOWLEDGE,( I know it's hard to believe, but I have been wrong! :klingon ) only 8 mil passes small missile impact in independent testing. 4 mil will pass static wind loads but not impact.

OK, tried to attach the file but it's too big. anyone intrested, let me know and I'll sent it via e-mail

tinteffects@comcast.net

Guest Billy22

In Florida, They are recommending LLumar 4mil for our windows.

No attachments as our double pane windows are well inside the frame.

Around 2K for the 4mil, another 900 for the 8mil. They don't recommend the 8mil for double pain windows as it isn't cost justified. *8 patio doors and 11 windows.

The reason we are considering the film is for hurricanes. Our house is built to the 120mph standard, seems like the film would add another layer, hopefully keeping the glass in the window and rain out/

Is it worth the difference for the 8 mil ? Will the film provide greater protection ?

Guest VOLTRON

Yes the film will provide greater protection then standard windows but an attachment system will provide even greater protection.

An 8 ml film with Dow995 for residential would be best. Tear test shmear test. It's a gimmick!!! If you cut a slice in mmm's 4 ml then tear it as fast as you can it rips like tissue paper. Don't fall for the stretch tear crap!

How bout this..... ask mmm for there test data and compare to anyone elses 8 ml test data! 8 ml with dow 995 on residential is my personal preference.

I live in Florida and I wouldn't even think of putting ANYONES 4 ml on my house.

Q15. How do 3M? Scotchshield? (Ultra) Safety and Security Window Films work?

A15. 3M? Scotchshield? Ultra Safety and Security Window Films are designed to make glass shatter-resistant by holding the glass pieces together when broken.

Compared to 3M? Scotchtint? films, 3M? Scotchshield? Window Films are made with thicker polyester and a much thicker, more aggressive adhesive, 3M? Scotchshield? Ultra Films are unique in the industry; they are built using a special micro-layered polyester technology which increases the films' tear resistance significantly. Pound for pound, the impact and tear resistance of Scotchshield Ultra films outperform all other films of similar thickness.

3M Rep. came out today and quoted me on their safety/security film---4mil for storm protection and sun block. They are double pane windows throughout. Claims a lifetime warranty and about $xper square foot. The installation is done on the inside? of the windows and there is no attatchment system applied? Is this correct? Any other questions or info I should be aware of before deciding---$x is alot of money to spend and I want to be sure. Thanks.

By the way yes 3m has an attachment system. It's just the company that gave you the estimate either doesn't know how to do it or they don't sell it. It's the Dow 995 on sliding glass doors. (Dow 995 is what Florida's building codes now require the new laminated glass to be installed with) Dow or any other attachment system to my knowledge is not offered to annealed glass such as sash or awning style windows, just tempered- sliding glass doors

Archived