No attatchment system for 3M security film?

Guest MoW

Guest vclimber

Hopefully this helps to clear the air... If you are a consumer, you need to do your due diligence. Whether you consider films from Big Red or any other manufacture, when talking to local security film dealers consider the following information:

-"Any claim by the seller of a product should alert the consumer to ask for a copy of the actual written approval for the specific product in question."~IWFA

-"Upon repeated impacts to the same area, films can begin to tear due to the edges of the broken glass fragments penetrating the thickness of the film. This means that, in general, although films can help greatly by reducing glass hazards upon initial impact, with repeated impacts they may not continue to perform as well. Thicker films and films made from multiple layers (laminated films) perform better, in general, in situations where there will be repeated impacts to the glass, even after breakage has occurred. Just because a product may be able to pass the Dade County small missile impact requirements, it does not mean the product can get Dade County Product Approval, as it may not be able to withstand the repeated impact cycling part of the approval process." ~IWFA

-All missle tests, small and large, were tested on films that were attached to the window frame with some type of attachment system. The strongest films that are not attached to window frames can blow out very easily under cyclic wind pressures that exhist in hurricane conditions. You need an attachment system no matter what film is applied. Remember, not all windstorm values will apply to your particular situation because your window frame system may differ from the system used in testing. ~Look at any windstorm test report in the footnotes

-For Public Release (Not Copyrighted)

"Consumers should ask to see window film manufacturers? literature, which states the specific

benefits of each particular product. Window film manufacturers have copies of the laboratory

test reports validating that their products do, in fact, meet specific impact testing under specific

conditions. The seller of the window film products must present the customer with information

that clearly indicates the test data from the manufacturer of the product showing that it has, in

fact, achieved the stated level of performance on the same type of glass in the same

environment in which it is being offered for sale. Note that all products specified for an end use

must have passed the appropriate performance testing identified for that specified end use.

To determine the appropriateness of the test reports that a consumer may request for products

related to protection during a high wind event, see the information below for both new and

remodeled construction, and also for retro-fitting existing construction with window film products."

~The Building Code Advisory Board (BCAB)

West Palm Beach, FL

See page 3 for Chart

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest carbontc
if 3M is the choice that you have "only" then I would go forward with it but with an attachment system of course!

there are other film brands with 4mil as well. I would go thicker which is more expensive but if safety is your concern then cost should be a major factor in your situation. :cool

In what area of the states are you located?

4-mil sounds to bit for $x?

Make a new research on your area.

we are using llumar magnum 8-mil + anchoring product (wet or dry).

I have the latest "small missile miami dade protocol" sheet, and its higher protective than 3M, and MADICO.

Cheers!

if 3M is the choice that you have "only" then I would go forward with it but with an attachment system of course!

there are other film brands with 4mil as well. I would go thicker which is more expensive but if safety is your concern then cost should be a major factor in your situation. :hmmm

I have the latest "small missile miami dade protocol" sheet, and its higher protective than 3M, and MADICO.

Cheers!

I'd be interested in a post of that sheet. Higher than Mad 8ml or 4 ml???

there are other film brands with 4mil as well. I would go thicker which is more expensive but if safety is your concern then cost should be a major factor in your situation. :hmmm

Cheers!

I meant is , that if safety is your primary concern, then cost should NOT be a factor in this decision. I rather not post the company name here in public. you can email me or PM me. I dont have technical specs for it but im sure I can find it...

Guest bwoodham

Im not to sure what all was discussed among the past 3 pages that didnt read. The Scarl 400 3m line of file isnt bad at all . I personally think that the 6mil. is far better choice. It is made up of 26 microlayers which gives it one h_ll of a tear resistance. If the other lines of film or punctured there more likely to tear than the S35 or something. any ?s

Bwoodham062682@hotmail.com

Guest bwoodham

you are correct about the 39 layers in 6 mil. my mistake .NOw 3m came out with the prestige line which formwhat im told from my 3m dealer that its 200 nanolayers go figure.and for every one else that hated 3m because they dont like the $ or because they cant get it .Go get some S-35 600 series 3m and compare it to any 8 mil. yes 8mil does cut your finger more ut when installing you can't rip away cut off w/ 3m but others you can ...

Guest NWFilm

4 mil 8 mil it's the performance that counts

3M can toss out "lifretime guarantees because they will definitely be around next quarter...

Q15. How do 3M? Scotchshield? (Ultra) Safety and Security Window Films work?

A15. 3M? Scotchshield? Ultra Safety and Security Window Films are designed to make glass shatter-resistant by holding the glass pieces together when broken.

Compared to 3M? Scotchtint? films, 3M? Scotchshield? Window Films are made with thicker polyester and a much thicker, more aggressive adhesive, 3M? Scotchshield? Ultra Films are unique in the industry; they are built using a special micro-layered polyester technology which increases the films' tear resistance significantly. Pound for pound, the impact and tear resistance of Scotchshield Ultra films outperform all other films of similar thickness.

3M Rep. came out today and quoted me on their safety/security film---4mil for storm protection and sun block. They are double pane windows throughout. Claims a lifetime warranty and aboutx per square foot. The installation is done on the inside? of the windows and there is no attatchment system applied? Is this correct? Any other questions or info I should be aware of before deciding---xis alot of money to spend and I want to be sure. Thanks.

Guest bwoodham

To an extent <If you want the best of the best ask for 6mil with the attachment system > It should cost you a X amount more but not to much .It comes tinted or,not some tint always better than none. If you really need help you can contact me later (dow 995 attachment should be used.

Archived