Blamed for damaged car!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just explain to them that there is no way that you did it. (unless you really did) They took the door panel off right? By the sound of your story, something else happened to the door. If they continue to want you to pay, Politely decline doing buisness with them anymore. The shop manager has to answer to someone, sounds like he trying to protect himself.

If you did it, fix it.

If you didn't, potect yourself. This happens all the time.

5 a year for something you didn't do? Drop them.

Devil

Guest walestint
My local BMW franchise range me up last week. They wanted 2 windows tinting on a brand new BMW M5. Simple enough right?

I told them it was a quick job but having not worked on one before I told them to get one of their mechanics to remove the door panels before I got there.

I arrived and as agreed the door panels were off lying in the corner of the showroom. I did the tint job, bringing the panels over to the car to plug in the electric windows to move the glass as needed.

I finished and left. Next morning I get a call from them saying there are a couple of bubbles in the tint. Unusual I thought but went to have a look. It turn out that whoever put the panels back on had caught the film and moved it while it was still wet. Air got underneath but fortunately it was still moist enough to push it out and it looked as good as it did when I finished it the day before. So all good right?

Not quite. The guy says before you go what do you know about that (pointing at a gouge in the door panel leather)? I said it didnt look good, bit of a problem for you. He said that his mechanic didnt do it so it must have been me! Its funny though because the only tool I used was a razor blade and there is a big gouge in the leather right next to the bolt cover in the side of the panel. Looks like a screwdriver slip to me I said.

He said he takes his mechanics word as gold and there is no way he did it. He says the only fair way to sort it is to get a new panel and split the cost between them and us.

Got the bill today. ?550, that like $800. Thats half the cost of the new panel fitted apparently.

Should I pay it? Has anyone had any similar experiences? What did you do?

Needless to say Im not happy but do I have a leg to stand on?

thats why im not interested in 'working for someone else', they come to me or nothing ...

thats a bustard that one, if I didnt do it and they blamed me for it id create holy ell with those ponsy car sale people and mechanics at BMW

just my thoughts! :wall

Guest Tintim

Hey JP

Just to let you know they are trying to r*pe you with a length of scaffolding pole and leave you bleeding in the gutter :wall they are really trying it on.

About three month ago we slightly damaged a trim on top of the range Range Rover - it was a good dealership and I though a trim repair company could fix it for few quid. They could not and it cost us ?460 we have insurance we get lots of work from them so we swallowed it - that felt bad. They are saying an M5 trim at half price costs ?550 including fitting??

Phone another BMW dealership with chassis number and get price and if you have to fit it yourself it's easy although by the sounds of this dealership if its a new M5 they will sting you for re-setting the Airbag warning light. If you're certain its them stick to your guns - integrity is everything.

Little tip for panel pullers don't disconnect airbags on new M5 even without cycling the ignition as the Airbag warning lights come on and dealerships will charge you to reset it.

Peace :wall

Guest Diamond Tints

Heres the thing on the new 5 series you only need to pull the panel at the top and pull the weather strip out so you dont need the panels off in the first place, and if it was me I would stand my ground and say no way you are paying for it but then again its ok saying you only get 5 jobs a year so really within the year you are getting your money back, and for people saying its only 5 jobs doesnt matter works work, wouldn't be that if you had 50 dealers giving you 5 jobs each per year :krazy

Guest Tintim

Hey Tintboy,

some of the guys here fit security film, 12 Thou 350 micron, for it to be effective its glass out complete glass coverage - otherwise window once shattered will just fall off the regulator. Just to let you know where I'm coming from.

Otherwise tint in situ is a doddle.

:krazy

Guest Diamond Tints
Hey Tintboy,

some of the guys here fit security film, 12 Thou 350 micron, for it to be effective its glass out complete glass coverage - otherwise window once shattered will just fall off the regulator. Just to let you know where I'm coming from.

Otherwise tint in situ is a doddle.

:krazy

Yip that goes without saying does it not :lol but are we not talking about normal tint here?

Even taking these panels off and taking the windows out on these is p!ss easy as done new 5 series not so long ago with 12 mil :lol6

Do you work for pentagon I take it with your pic in your profile?

Where you work? one of the english ones I take it

Davie :lol6

Guest Tintim

Yo Tintboy,

No were not talking about normal tint here. We're talking about how this guy can save himself being ripped off to the tune of ?550. He did not take the panels off or put them back on the BMW mechanic did.

I feel sure he can get that panel via another BMW dealership and fit it himself thereby saving money - if he is not insured. That is if he wants to swallow it in the hope of getting more work.

My point is the airbag in the door trims on the new M5 not new 5 series they are different. Heads up display and electronic management systems are more complex and tempermental. Ask BMW - even their techies complain, we have done 3 and had problems with two. The new shape M5 can't have been out a year.

BMW told us airbag lights came on because battery voltage got a little low, on second we kept it on charge same problem airbag warning lights. The one we did last week we simply took the four torx holding the airbag onto the doorcard out and screwed it back on the doorpanel. :wall No problem with warning lights.

Yes I work for Pentagon in Berkshire. you fit 12mil too, I say :lol you would not have thought of it had it not been for Pentagon. You'd have used a thinner film.

You think your good do a VW beetle 5 door sides in 12 mil 350, remember your handle "tintboy" :thumb:wall

Guest Diamond Tints

I wouldnt be fitting 12 mil if it wasn't for pentagon thats a tall statement is it not, where you get that whopper from????????????

Was bonwyke (fti) not already making 12 mil before pentagon asked for them!!

Your statement about doing a 5 door beetle in 12 mil no I haven't done one no because I didn't know there was such a thing as a five door beetle.

My "Handle" as you put it tintboy wtf :wall you "work" for Pentagon I own my own company oh thats right yous all work for a franchise

Lastly where did I say I was good your words not mine, but thats right you "work" for a company so you MUST be better, now heres the thing I use exactly the same films as pentagon, sungard slate, atr range exactly the same tint techniques only thing is I dont pay royalty fees etc etc so then can put the savings onto the dealers and the public.

At the end of the day the dealers are starting to realize there are non franchised organizations that are just as good as the big companies if not better, hence them all closing down in Scotland in fact how many is actually left now? just one if I am correct is it not :thumb

Archived