Windshield Strips

Guest a1wintinter

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintman AZ
I didnt think to many of you guys would care for this method , but like I said dont knock it till you try it.

Its definitely not for everyone :duck

Newbs :lol2

Hey, don't feel bad, I've been doing it that way for years. Only difference is say for instance they want a 7" visor, I go ahead and cut it at 7" on my table before hand then when I get in the car just take the edge of film over the blackout on each corner, then there is no measuring on the inside of the car. As for contamination, I just tape it off just as I would if I cut it on the outsid e of the windshield.

Guest tintman AZ
1st question would be "how many windshields do you find that is anywhere near straight across the top?"

I personally cut all strips to match the contour of the windshield and think that a reverse smile that you get with the factory staight edge looks cheap and lacks any professional flare. I have only had 3 customers in 8 years that insisted on the straight edge instead of the curved once I explained why I prefer the curve.....

whatever works.

I have never had 1 person ask to have it cut with the contour of the glass. So I guess its how you promote it.

1st question would be "how many windshields do you find that is anywhere near straight across the top?"

I personally cut all strips to match the contour of the windshield and think that a reverse smile that you get with the factory staight edge looks cheap and lacks any professional flare. I have only had 3 customers in 8 years that insisted on the straight edge instead of the curved once I explained why I prefer the curve.....

whatever works.

I have never had 1 person ask to have it cut with the contour of the glass. So I guess its how you promote it.

or you caould just tell them its up to the installer to do whatever he wants, and charge accordingly. :duck

I have had very few that said they wanted that way....I usally tell them, if I even talk to the customer, that it looks more like a factory strip and that they will be less likely to be bothered if it is lower than 6". Most of the ones I do run about 8" down on the clear glass.

It also dumbfounds people when I just reach out to the middle of the window and draw my line back towards me with my knife and then go to the other side and hit the exact same spot......

As the commercial for Operation said "It takes a very steady hand"

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

my main concern with this method is I find it so much easier to cutout the mirror bracket when the film is smooth and unpeeled on the outside rather than have it in my hands dripping and not flat against the glass which is also not letting the area around the bracket to be flat against glass so how can you squeegee it flat and level if the middle isnt flat. also do you run your blade along the inside to trim the excess, once again that so much easier on the outside plus wont scratch lines in the black that trims the window. like you said its not for everyone and I cant see how it would be faster than cutting it to fit and sticking it like anyother window :duck but good luck :lol2

Archived