Blackout on windows - chance of breaking??

Went to put a bid in for this storefront... they wanted blackout to block the view of inside walls that will be built infront of the windows. Huge - like 68x80. I've spoken with 2 film reps, and another shop, and they all said no way... glass would break. They all suggested either something very reflective, or a white frost.

I didn't get the bid.. which is fine.... the company that got it is going to put blackout on the windows. Heh.. I should drive by and take pictures of it when it's finished in a couple weeks.

Think the windows will pop? A couple of windows are north and south facing... but most of them are facing east. There is some overhang above the windows, but I'm not sure how much shading this provides.

A car dealership near my house had blackout film put up on three or four of it's windows in the corner... probably where one of the sales guy has his desk... they all cracked. Makes me want to stop over and see what the deal is... (I didn't do it - It's been like that for some time now)

RoAcH

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we have a couple of hackks here that install blackout on anything

and a bunh of buildings with busted glass :drevil

sad thing is many building owners dont think the tint caused the breakage

I guess them kids are throwing rocks again :bingo:eyebrows

If its plate glass, and definately if its tempered, go for it. But IG's, forget it. On the other hand, four years ago, a friend of mine that owns a pizza place wanted to blackout four windows above the doors entering his restaurant due to them installing a suspended ceiling. They didn't want to see through them because of all of the mechanical stuff you could see. I had him sign a contract releasing me from responsiblily, and at his request, we blacked out the four IG's above the door. They have full sun from around 1pm on. Not even the hint they are going bad. I strongly urged him against it, and even placed a bet on the failure, I lost the bet. The windows were roughly seven years old when we applied the film. Maybe they are just rare, and he is exceptionally lucky.

and those film reps didn't even suggest an exterior blackout? :beer

guess you should have come here and asked us before asking those "film guys" :beer you can't give 'em the warranty like other films but you could have given them what they wanted and not worried about windows breaking.

Yeah.. no one suggested exterior films. Wouldn't have mattered the way the bid went down.. we wouldn't have gotten it anyway.

The windows are IG units... If they do break, I should hear about it from one of the guys at the shop that I talk to from time to time... should be interesting to see what happens. :beer

RoAcH

Guest vclimber

I've done a bunch of that stuff on big IG units, up to 60x72 west facing annealed. So far no breakage. Tempered glass should be fine even if it is IG. North facing stuff should be fine too. I always get a waiver signed because there are no guarantees that it won't break.

I've done a bunch of that stuff on big IG units, up to 60x72 west facing annealed. So far no breakage. Tempered glass should be fine even if it is IG. North facing stuff should be fine too. I always get a waiver signed because there are no guarantees that it won't break.

what part of the county are you from VCLIMBER?

The real test (depending how far north you are ) is on a cold Feburary day with the sun pounding on them..if it makes through that..they should be fine .

For the record..I would NEVER had put the black film on them windows..or zero warranty if they still wanted to go ahead.

Archived