Got my shaving edges clip up on You Tube

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest glassguy

might be a dumb arse question, but how do you shave the corners that tuck into the sides?

I know you said to take a suction cup and pull it, but that cant work on all doors. and how do you pull on it (the window that is) from the inside of the door?

sorry for bein an idiot, but that method seems to be something I could try and actually get right, so thanks for the link.

might be a dumb arse question, but how do you shave the corners that tuck into the sides?

I know you said to take a suction cup and pull it, but that cant work on all doors. and how do you pull on it (the window that is) from the inside of the door?

sorry for bein an idiot, but that method seems to be something I could try and actually get right, so thanks for the link.

When you cut your pattern just barely overlap the bottom seal (outside of window) Now when you get to the top cut it exact??. If you use a transfer board take your pattern there to round the edges or corners and finish cutting the sides. Now if your frame has a tight seal that goes back say ? of a inch take your olfla and trim just a small sliver of film the same distance along the top of the pattern in the corners while your pattern is on the board. Since you left just a small overlap at the bottom of the pattern you will apply the tint to the glass (inside) where the film is just hanging at the top edge of the window??. Now you can shave or file the edge without worrying about the corners. If you have problems at first with the film pulling back you can heat it up or come back to it later when the glue sets up more. With some practice holding the knife lightly so the film won?t pull back you can stop heating it up. The clip just shows how to practice so that was a very good question. I hope these instructions help you. If you have problems you can PM me. Thanks!

On another topic, I think youtube is so very kool! Between TD and YTube I have been just chilling today! Back on our head tomorrow??????? :nope:lol:lol heeeee heeeeee :nope

Guest outkast tinter

Please take no offense Stan, but for the last 20 years, I have been shaving my top edges with my extended olfa on the outside with the liner intact. This has much more resilience, and reduces shredding of the film edge. I do NOT round off my corners, and heat the install I line up with a hard card and a hair dryer. I complete my shaved pattern in roughly 1.5 minutes. If I had the luxury of videotaping my pattern cutting, I would do so. I taught a clinic on this install at the 2004 SolarGard west coast tint off using two Mercedes models that I also taught the felting on. The up/down stroke shave creates too much debris, especially if you are doing it on peeled film. JMHO :nope

Guest Tintbds

I call it the way I see it :nope

If you are :lol that just to bad.

Not my style that it.

Flat Rock seem to teach and did good for a number of guys there, they benefitted from your clip cool but just not me. At least not that clip. :lol

Look Flat Rock don't take it personnal it's just my tempo.

As I said before wish you well. :nope

I see this topic is really going in a possitive direction and I think the teach is going to keep this thread alive for a bit. There are many creative ways to micro edge a door glass, so I will put a new twist on this one topic.------------For of the heat gun slingers out there, 1: take a thoughtful extra minute or two and dry your full or partially overlaped door pattern, 2: heat your fresh Olfa knife blade for 10+/sec. 3; cut left to right upwards following the angles of the glass beveled edge. The hot blade assures a smooth fused film edge , and cuts like butter. Keep in mind northern tinters summer is over, some brands of film do not dry fast on cold glass. : :nope

Guest Tintbds

tintbds likes to hide weiners in his a$$. I'd have a pissy attitude, too...

:nope

Now that is being disgruntled and rude. :lol

Non-professional comment.

Should be :nope:lol

Archived